Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] 594ab5: Define requirements for handling packets

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 23:50:37 -0700

Branch: refs/heads/packet-handling
  Home:   https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts
  Commit: 594ab51b68a4b451a613ab89d1cca55cb29d63e7
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/594ab51b68a4b451a613ab89d1cca55cb29d63e7
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2017-08-11 (Fri, 11 Aug 2017)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Define requirements for handling packets

We never really said how to handle incoming packets.  This adds a section on
that.  This was originally motivated by #570, where the rules for what to
generate a Version Negotiation packet for were a little unclear.

Now though, this is a far more comprehensive description of what to do with
a packet that is received.

For #570, I've chosen to limit packet size.  If the packet is too small, then
this requires the server to drop the packet.  In response to the potential for
a future version of QUIC to define a smaller initial packet (@mikkelfj raised
this point), I've included advice on what might be done to avoid having packets
discarded.

I realize that we don't have a patch that sets the packet size to 1200.  I'm
going to write that one now.  This depends on that.