Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Make it clear that it is cleartext packets that have an FNV hash (#683)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 09:59:08 +0000 (UTC)

At the hackathon it came out that several people believed that Version Negotiation had integrity protection.  This was understandable.  The transport doc only said that integrity was for cleartext and said nothing about version neogitation, which isn't great.  What was worse was that the TLS doc said that it was for all unprotected packets, which is not the case.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/683

-- Commit Summary --

  * Make it clear that it is cleartext packets that have an FNV hash

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md (16)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/683.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/683.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/683

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 10:01:35 +0000 (UTC)

mikkelfj commented on this pull request.

> @@ -840,14 +840,14 @@ number gaps on connection ID transitions. That secret is computed as:
 
 # Unprotected Packets
 
-QUIC adds an integrity check to all unprotected packets.  Any packet that is not
-protected by the negotiated AEAD (see {{packet-protection}}), includes an
-integrity check.  This check does not prevent the packet from being altered, it
-exists for added resilience against data corruption and to provided added
-assurance that the sender intends to use QUIC.
-
-Unprotected packets all use the long form of the QUIC header and so will include
-a version number.  For this version of QUIC, the integrity check uses the 64-bit
+QUIC adds an integrity check to all cleartext packets.  Cleartext packetare not

typo: packetare

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/683#pullrequestreview-50186275

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 03:02:19 -0700

# Unprotected Packets
 
-QUIC adds an integrity check to all unprotected packets.  Any packet that is not
-protected by the negotiated AEAD (see {{packet-protection}}), includes an
-integrity check.  This check does not prevent the packet from being altered, it
-exists for added resilience against data corruption and to provided added
-assurance that the sender intends to use QUIC.
-
-Unprotected packets all use the long form of the QUIC header and so will include
-a version number.  For this version of QUIC, the integrity check uses the 64-bit
+QUIC adds an integrity check to all cleartext packets.  Cleartext packetare not
+protected by the negotiated AEAD (see {{packet-protection}}), but instead
+include an integrity check.  This check does not prevent the packet from being
+altered, it exists for added resilience against data corruption and to provided
+added assurance that the sender intends to use QUIC.

provided?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/683#pullrequestreview-50186288

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 11:29:55 +0000 (UTC)

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

0e5e85c  Typo-land

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/683/files/0c65f998a5121826804517cf4d3775f2765c3edf..0e5e85ce62041f794b4f4b3542d44cdbbd367e40

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 14:46:37 +0000 (UTC)

seanturner approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/683#pullrequestreview-51225702

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 15:08:55 +0000 (UTC)

Merged #683.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/683#event-1172307291