Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Transport Section 5.1 enumeration of Octets appear off (#580)

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2017 10:44:48 -0700

In draft-ietf-quic-transport-03 in section 5.1:

   Header Form:  The most significant bit (0x80) of the first octet is
      set to 1 for long headers and 0 for short headers.

   Long Packet Type:  The remaining seven bits of first octet of a long
      packet is the packet type.  This field can indicate one of 128
      packet types.  The types specified for this version are listed in
      Table 1.

   Connection ID:  Octets 1 through 8 contain the connection ID.
      Section 5.7 describes the use of this field in more detail.

   Packet Number:  Octets 9 to 12 contain the packet number.  {{packet-
      numbers} describes the use of packet numbers.

   Version:  Octets 13 to 16 contain the selected protocol version.
      This field indicates which version of QUIC is in use and
      determines how the rest of the protocol fields are interpreted.

   Payload:  Octets from 17 onwards (the rest of QUIC packet) are the
      payload of the packet.

As the fields connection ID etc follows a first octet (Header form and Long Packet Type), the enumeration appears to be off by one. At least using the construction "Octets 1 through 8" implies at least to this reader that this is the first to eight octets, not the second to ninth which it really is. Please edit so that there are no risk for contradictions here.  

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/580

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 16:50:22 +0000 (UTC)

Closed #580 via #651.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/580#event-1144593870