Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] 37ff3e: reword 'cumulative ack' language to avoid tcp conf...

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 18:03:39 -0700

Branch: refs/heads/master
  Home:   https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts
  Commit: 37ff3e66c139cd2edc3b7f27f38105cf4d1270b2
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/37ff3e66c139cd2edc3b7f27f38105cf4d1270b2
  Author: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2017-06-21 (Wed, 21 Jun 2017)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  reword 'cumulative ack' language to avoid tcp confusion

I have had the experience of being confused by the "cumulative ack"
langauge in the current draft and then explaining it to others
confused about the same thing.

cumulative' is not used in the tcp sense where
the largest-ack is cumulative for all of the packets previous to
it. It tends to mean non-revokable here (which the draft also uses -
imo to more clarity.) While future acks can incorprate the data from
old ack frames (being in that sense cumulative) they do not have to
and in some cases will not be able to be so for space reasons.

In this case I think it is just the clarifying text that is confusing
- so less is more.

  Commit: 80c3c228e18681bb8fad3cb18109de822bf1336e
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/80c3c228e18681bb8fad3cb18109de822bf1336e
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2017-06-22 (Thu, 22 Jun 2017)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Merge pull request #653 from mcmanus/edit-cumulative

reword 'cumulative ack' language to avoid tcp confusion

Compare: https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/compare/c8eddaae05b2...80c3c228e186