Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] reword 'cumulative ack' language to avoid tcp confusion (#653)

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 13:09:57 -0700

I have had the experience of being confused by the "cumulative ack"
langauge in the current draft and then explaining it to others
confused about the same thing.

cumulative' is not used in the tcp sense where
the largest-ack is cumulative for all of the packets previous to
it. It tends to mean non-revokable here (which the draft also uses -
imo to more clarity.) While future acks can incorprate the data from
old ack frames (being in that sense cumulative) they do not have to
and in some cases will not be able to be so for space reasons.

In this case I think it is just the clarifying text that is confusing
- so less is more.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/653

-- Commit Summary --

  * reword 'cumulative ack' language to avoid tcp confusion

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (11)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/653.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/653.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/653

---

From: Subodh Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 15:14:32 -0700

+1 this, I also did a back-take when I first read this.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/653#issuecomment-310220537

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 17:23:23 -0700

heh, fair enough.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/653#issuecomment-310240913

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 17:23:30 -0700

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/653#pullrequestreview-45595851

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 18:03:41 -0700

Merged #653.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/653#event-1133922247