Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Transport: Packetization layer PMTUD needs detailed specification (#614)

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2017 01:53:31 -0700

In draft-ietf-quic-transport-03, Section 9:

   All QUIC packets SHOULD be sized to fit within the estimated PMTU to
   avoid IP fragmentation or packet drops.  To optimize bandwidth
   efficiency, endpoints SHOULD use Packetization Layer PMTU Discovery
   ([RFC4821]) and MAY use PMTU Discovery ([RFC1191], [RFC1981]) for
   detecting the PMTU, setting the PMTU appropriately, and storing the
   result of previous PMTU determinations.

There are details in the method described in RFC 4821 that needs to have explicit description of how the method is applied in QUIC. This includes, format of probing packets, loss response, additional challenge of ICMP feedback. 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/614

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2017 06:16:13 -0700

@martinduke, do you think that you could take a look at this?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/614#issuecomment-307099759