Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] GREASE the server port number (#424)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 15:55:20 -0700

MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

> @@ -105,6 +105,11 @@ Connectivity problems (e.g. firewall blocking UDP) can result in QUIC connection
 establishment failure, in which case the client SHOULD continue using the
 existing connection or try another alternative endpoint offered by the origin.
 
+Servers MAY serve HTTP/QUIC on any UDP port.  Servers MUST use the same port
+across all IP addresses that serve a single domain, and SHOULD NOT change this
+port. Servers SHOULD choose this port at random when first enabling HTTP/QUIC

Discussion from the editors:  It's perfectly reasonable to point out that hq *can* be on any port and that's supported.  The "SHOULD randomize" gets into the middlebox debate and really should become a separate issue if we're going to recommend it.  (And it could legitimately become a best practice whether the spec recommends it or not.)

If you back this piece out (or I can do it), I think the rest is fine to merge.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/424#pullrequestreview-35911135

---

From: "Benjamin M. Schwartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 15:58:15 -0700

bemasc commented on this pull request.

Should I just remove it, or switch to MAY?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/424#discussion_r114444658

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 16:10:37 -0700

I'd just remove it -- if it's just a MAY, then it's duplicative of "MAY serve ... on any UDP port."

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/424#discussion_r114446257

---

From: "Benjamin M. Schwartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 20:31:50 -0700

OK, done!

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/424#discussion_r114467666

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 07:52:51 -0700

Merged #424.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/424#event-1067384631