Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] 1e8d5d: Add a description of the FNV-1a algorithm

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 22:00:32 -0700

Branch: refs/heads/master
  Home:   https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts
  Commit: 1e8d5dab076371e0e3672320f97494b824139b1a
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/1e8d5dab076371e0e3672320f97494b824139b1a
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2017-04-28 (Fri, 28 Apr 2017)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Add a description of the FNV-1a algorithm

I've added this in the TLS document, even though this would have been easier to
add to the transport document in some ways.  The current plan (if we ever clear
our backlog) is to move the details of the packet protection and key schedule
to the transport.  If that ever happens, it will be easy enough to move this
new text at the same time as the packet protection.

Two choices that I made here:

1. all packets are protected, including Public Reset - this means that the
packet construction code can have very simple logic for determining whether to
add an integrity check, namely is there an AEAD?; the cost being that public
reset is a little bigger

2. the integrity check mechanism can change in a new version - this avoids
expanding the list of things that we promise that won't change between
versions; the cost being one extra trivial check on receiving an unprotected
packet

  Commit: b19829cff70c5ea38b9be97e9b2335a3676ca900
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/b19829cff70c5ea38b9be97e9b2335a3676ca900
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2017-04-28 (Fri, 28 Apr 2017)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Remove advice

  Commit: d4622fda0bc141ecc7fa23357da5df1f60aab345
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/d4622fda0bc141ecc7fa23357da5df1f60aab345
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2017-05-01 (Mon, 01 May 2017)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Review comments

  Commit: dfe2859789c2775f6fe3b5e791915a857e3c3b3c
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/dfe2859789c2775f6fe3b5e791915a857e3c3b3c
  Author: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2017-04-30 (Sun, 30 Apr 2017)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Merge pull request #480 from quicwg/fnv-1a

Add a description of the FNV-1a algorithm

Compare: https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/compare/bae13e1ebef5...dfe2859789c2