Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Don't ACK the ACK (#366)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 20:40:10 -0800

Closes #291.

Note that #358 contains advice on using PING to elicit an ACK if the endpoint wants to reduce the range of packet numbers that its acknowledgments cover.  We can rely on that same advice.

@ianswett, I don't know how you want to manage this and #358.  If you want to fold this into #358, that might be best.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/366

-- Commit Summary --

  * Don't ACK the ACK

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (9)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/366.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/366.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/366

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 06:00:43 -0800

ianswett approved this pull request.

Let's land this first, because it looks just about landable as is and I assume the STOP_WAITING PR will take a bit longer.

> @@ -1665,12 +1665,9 @@ The details of loss detection and congestion control are described in
 {{QUIC-RECOVERY}}.
 
 A receiver acknowledges receipt of a received packet by sending one or more ACK
-frames containing the packet number of the received packet.  To avoid perpetual
-acknowledgment between endpoints, a receiver MUST NOT generate an ACK frame in
-response to every packet containing only ACK frames.  However, since it is
-possible that an endpoint might only send packets containing ACK frames (or
-other non-retransmittable frames), the receiving peer MAY send an ACK frame
-after a reasonable number (currently 20) of such packets have been received.
+frames containing the packet number of the received packet.  To avoid creating
+an indefinite feedback loop, an endpoint MUST NOT generate an ACK frame in
+response to a packet containing only ACK and PADDING frames.

nit: ACK and/or PADDING frames? 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/366#pullrequestreview-25517065

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 15:13:47 -0800

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

9704ac7  ACK or PADDING

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/366/files/06d8cf31dc1c323cfa13ec9812beabad5544a3f4..9704ac7bba64b247377a11331e408c7db1e77f8b

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 15:27:08 -0800

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/366#pullrequestreview-25660827

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 15:27:17 -0800

Merged #366.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/366#event-990518672