Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Use quic= instead of v= (#235)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:16:14 -0800

Fixes #229 
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235

-- Commit Summary --

  * Use quic= instead of v=

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (35)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:52:39 -0800

martinthomson approved this pull request.

 Where multiple versions are listed, the order of the values reflects the
 server's preference (with the first value being the most preferred version).
 
-QUIC versions are four-octet sequences with no additional constraints on format.
-Versions containing octets not allowed in tokens (tchar, {{!RFC7230}}, Section
-3.2.6) MUST be encoded using the hexadecimal representation.  Versions
-containing only octets allowed in tokens MAY be encoded using either
-representation.
+On receipt of an Alt-Svc header indicating HTTP/QUIC support, a client MAY
+attempt to establish a QUIC connection on the indicated port and, if successful,
+send HTTP requests using the mapping described in this document. Servers SHOULD

I think that I would rather the SHOULD here be a MUST.  (Then the "but" that follows isn't a "but".)

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235#pullrequestreview-18545673

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 22:18:15 -0800

Section "Registration of Version Hint Alt-Svc Parameter" still refers to "v" rather than "quic".

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235#issuecomment-275315679

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 04:56:36 -0800

@MikeBishop pushed 1 commit.

684ca6e  Incorporating feedback on quic= parameter

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235/files/e3caeaf94da75cf6a3cdd6548aa9094bfcaed4c9..684ca6e6256f082636fe3c8f14bef4fa4df806e7

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 13:23:04 -0800

a6e7d47  Broaden language to include alternate-host Alt-Svc uses

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235/files/684ca6e6256f082636fe3c8f14bef4fa4df806e7..a6e7d47151aa0dbbb2172602baaeb375df847d14

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 13:29:40 -0800

LPardue commented on this pull request.

-Versions containing octets not allowed in tokens (tchar, {{!RFC7230}}, Section
-3.2.6) MUST be encoded using the hexadecimal representation.  Versions
-containing only octets allowed in tokens MAY be encoded using either
-representation.
-
-On receipt of an Alt-Svc header indicating QUIC support, a client MAY attempt to
-establish a QUIC connection on the indicated port and, if successful, send HTTP
-requests using the mapping described in this document. Servers SHOULD list only
-versions which they support, but MAY omit supported versions for any reason.
-
-Connectivity problems (e.g. firewall blocking UDP) may result in QUIC connection
-establishment failure, in which case the client should gracefully fall back to
-HTTP/2.
+Origins SHOULD list only versions which they support, but MAY omit supported
+versions for any reason.

In the host-neutral case the origin is listing versions for the HTTP/QUIC endpoint. I don't think there is a requirement for the advertising host to support any version of QUIC, right?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235#pullrequestreview-19428017

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 14:40:21 -0800

MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

The *origin* has to support those versions at the advertised endpoint, regardless of whether the particular host that sent the header is that endpoint or not.

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 14:42:18 -0800

6b1b10d  Making origin/alternative clearer

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235/files/a6e7d47151aa0dbbb2172602baaeb375df847d14..6b1b10d3eb02a471214dc507d491402318e724a0

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 15:31:58 -0800

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

>      version-number = 1*8HEXDIG; hex-encoded QUIC version
 
-When multiple versions are supported, the "v" parameter MAY be repeated multiple
-times in a single Alt-Svc entry.  For example, if a server supported both
-version "Q034" and version 0x00000001, it would specify the following header:
+When multiple versions are supported, the "quic" parameter MAY be repeated
+multiple times in a single Alt-Svc entry.  For example, if a server supported
+both version "Q034" and version 0x00000001, it could specify the following

Do we have enough context to understand what "Q034" is, aside from knowing that an ASCII/UTF-8 encoding of "Q" is 0x51?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235#pullrequestreview-19451873

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 16:33:18 -0800

LGTM

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235#pullrequestreview-19460285

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 18:58:55 -0800

I still have a poor understand of how @mnot intends to run the process here WRT `notify-consensus`.  I think that given wide notice, discussion at the interim, and absence of any objections, this is probably OK to merge.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235#issuecomment-276560167

---

From: Ryan Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 19:45:25 -0800

RyanAtGoogle commented on this pull request.

-    Alt-Svc: hq=":443";v="x1";v="cQ034"
+    Alt-Svc: hq=":443";quic=1;quic=51303334

I suspect this is obvious, but it might be nice to explain why 0x00000001 is ASCII encoded as "1" and not "00000001". I assume the idea is that leading '0's may be removed from the hex encoded string?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/235#pullrequestreview-19478723