Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] read the connection ID from a packet with an unsupported version (#132)

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 19:57:06 -0800

According to [Section 5.3](https://quicwg.github.io/base-drafts/draft-ietf-quic-transport.html#version-negotiation-packet), a Version Negotiation Packet MUST contain the Connection ID.
[Section 5.1.2](https://quicwg.github.io/base-drafts/draft-ietf-quic-transport.html#handling-packets-from-different-versions), which specifies the fields that are guaranteed to remain constant between different QUIC versions, must therefore define the location and size of the Connection ID.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/132

-- Commit Summary --

  * read the connection ID from a packet with an unsupported version

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (2)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/132.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/132.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/132

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 20:00:47 -0800

I intentionally did not specify this as including a connection ID.  It's a field that has to be present, but another version could use it for something else.  That might be quite unwise, but the protocol does not depend on it.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/132#issuecomment-271480726

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 20:03:09 -0800

How is the server then supposed to include the Connection ID in the Version Negotiation Packet?
If this is a required field, it has to be read from somewhere.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/132#issuecomment-271480959

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 20:05:16 -0800

Hmm, I didn't consider that.  Arguably a version negotiation packet doesn't need a connection ID.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/132#issuecomment-271481198

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 20:05:20 -0800

Merged #132.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/132#event-916962446