Subject: agenda for newtrk BOF

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:33:24 -0500 (EST)

THURSDAY, November 13, 2003
1530-1730 Afternoon Sessions II
Salon C
GEN	newtrk	New IETF Standards Track Discussion BOF *

------
CHAIRS: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>	

DESCRIPTION:
The consensus in the problem working group is that the current IETF 3-
stage standards track described in RFC 2026 [RFC2026] is not working as
originally intended.  The draft problem statement document says:

     "The current hierarchy of Proposed, Draft and Full Standard
     maturity levels for specifications is no longer being used in the
     way that was envisioned when the stratification was originally
     proposed.  In practice, the IETF currently has a one-step
     standards process that subverts the IETF's preference for
     demonstrating effectiveness through running code in multiple
     interoperable implementations and compresses the process that
     previously allowed specifications to mature as experience was
     gained with actual implementations:"

The draft document then goes on to list 4 observations:

  1/ few documents actually progress after being published as PS
  2/ there is a perception that the IESG raised the quality requirement
  3/ in spite of the raised quality requirement, running code is not
     required
  4/ there seems to be a reinforcing feedback loop involved: vendors
     implement and deploy PS documents so the IESG tries to make the PS
     documents better

The draft problem document concludes that the 3-stage process is
excessive.

This BOF will discuss the observation that the current IETF 3-stage
standards track is not working and discuss options for different standards
track processes.

Expected output of BOF:
        1/ criteria for declaring "success" for a new IETF standards track
        2/ next steps

AGENDA:

  1/ description of current IETF Standards Track
  2/ observations from problem working group
  3/ what other SDOs do
  4/ proposals for alternate standards track processes
  5/ what would define success in a revised IETF Standards track
  6/ open discussion

Reading List:
        draft-ietf-problem-issue-statement-04.txt
        draft-dawkins-pstmt-twostage-01.txt
        draft-bradner-ietf-stds-trk-00.txt
        draft-iesg-hardie-outline-00.txt
        draft-loughney-what-standards-00.txt

--7B8F77539D.1068650916/newdev--

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:43:29 -0600

Scott,

SB>   1/ description of current IETF Standards Track
SB>   2/ observations from problem working group
SB>   3/ what other SDOs do
SB>   4/ proposals for alternate standards track processes
SB>   5/ what would define success in a revised IETF Standards track
SB>   6/ open discussion

 Good list.

 I hope that items 1-3 are will be only very brief reviews, rather
 than taking time or debating energy.  This will leave both time and
 debating energy for the proposals and the very interesting item #5.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>
 Sunnyvale, CA  USA <tel:+1.408.246.8253>