Subject: New version (04) of Problem Issue Document on its way

From: "Elwyn Davies" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:51:44 +0100

I sent a new version (04) of the Problem Issue draft to the I-D editor
yesterday.

The changes deal with some issues raised during Last Call, especially by
Andrew Urie and Thomas Narten.

The major changes between versions 03 and 04 are:

   o  Some text has been added to the second paragraph of the
      Introduction pointing out the increased complexity of the Internet
      and changed requirements of users.

   o  The increased scope and complexity of the Internet are also
      mentioned to emphasise the context for a new mission for the IETF
      in Section 2.1.

   o  Clarification added to Section 2.2 that it covers both technical
      and management techniques that are commonly accepted as helping
      the engineering process.

   o  Bullet added to Section 2.2 noting lack of independent reviewers
      and lack of related topic review, especially early in the process.

   o  Dependency Identification and Coordination processes added to list
      of project management techniques in Section 2.2 that are not well
      applied. Noted that these should apply both to other WGs and
      external SDOs.

   o  Lack of awareness of interactions in today's more complex Internet
      emphasised in Section 2.3.

   o  Problems with liaisons with other SDOs and the effect on ability
      to identify interactions added to Section 2.3.

   o  'Practices' replaced by 'Dynamics' in title of Section 2.7.

   o  Connection of problems in Section 2.7 made to non-hierarchical and
      volunteer nature of IETF organisation.  Solutions therefore cannot
      be achieved by simple process changes.

   o  Additional point added to 'concensus by exhaustion' paragraph in
      Section 2.7:  Mailing lists are at heart of WG process but are
      becoming increasingly ineffective at issue resolution.

Regards,
Elwyn Davies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------

Elwyn B Davies

        Routing and Addressing Strategy Prime & IPv6 Core Team Leader
        CTO Office, Portfolio Integration		Solutions Ready

        Nortel Networks plc			Email:
[email-masked]
        Harlow Laboratories     			ESN
6-742-5498
        London Road, Harlow,    			Direct Line
+44-1279-405498
        Essex, CM17 9NA, UK     		Fax
+44-1279-402047
        Registered Office: 			Maidenhead Office Park,
Westacott Way,
        Company No. 3937799			Maidenhead, Berkshire, SSL6
3QH
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message may contain information proprietary to Nortel Networks plc so
any
unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution of its contents is strictly
prohibited.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Folly is mostly mine"
and the opinions are mine and not those of my employer.
============================================================================
======