Subject: Liaison with other SDOs

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:47:43 +0100

Hi,

Thank you for the drafts to date.

I have been unable to follow the list consistently, so apologies if this has been covered.

Section 2.1 of draft-ietf-problem-issue-statement-02.txt alludes to problems communicating with other SDOs.
 "This can lead to the IETF being
  misunderstood by other SDOs which can make communications between
  SDOs less effective, harming the IETF's ability to achieve its
  mission."

There is, however, no coverage of the explicit issue of communications with other SDOs. You will be aware of the considerable friction between the ccamp WG and the ITU-T. These frictions are not conducive to the development of standards in a timely manner. The issue in ccamp has been recognized and the co-chairs are striving to resolve the issues, but there is a long way to go.

It seems that 'the process' for working with other SDOs is not perfect.

Thanks,
Adrian

---

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:14:06 -0400

Adrian> There   is,  however,  no   coverage  of   the  explicit   issue  of
Adrian> communications  with   other  SDOs.  You   will  be  aware   of  the
Adrian> considerable friction between the ccamp WG and the ITU-T.  

Frankly,  I don't  think the  friction with  the ITU-T  is really  a process
issue.  The friction occurs because  the ITU-T thinks it should be dictating
the  charter  of various  WGs  (in particular,  dictating  that  the WGs  be
required to  follow various ITU-T architecture  and requirements documents).
The fact  that the ITU-T  has no way  to make this  happen is not  a process
problem, it's a feature.