Subject: RE: Hearing and Speaking Problems for Non-NativeEnglishspeakingparticipants.

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:16:13 +0300

Scott,

I don't have an opinion on the discussion, but if I were to propose
an problem, it would probably be along the lines that:

	The mechanics of face-to-face meeting times are often not managed
	effectively.

John

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Scott W Brim [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 17 July, 2003 13:12
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Hearing and Speaking Problems for
> Non-NativeEnglishspeakingparticipants.
> 
> 
> We're in solution space, but I think there should be a separate big
> screen and projector for the jabber scribe (or detailed notetaker --
> it's not clear whether the jabber thing has a future) so that 
> people can
> see what the speaker says written down.
>

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:21:54 +0200

> 	The mechanics of face-to-face meeting times are often not managed

I liked Cyrus's original, large explication of the problem.

---

From: Cyrus Shaoul <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 06:51:51 -0400

John, 

Perhaps the face-to-face meeting time mechanics problem has overlap with
the non-native English speaker problem, but also covers native English
speakers as well. (Jabber, Scribes, lack of audio recordings of all
meetings, Presentation file format inconsistencies, etc)

Are there any other problems like this, and is this worth adding?

Cyrus

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:21:54 +0200
Scott W Brim <[email-masked]> wrote:

swb> On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 01:16:13PM +0300, [email-masked] allegedly wrote:
swb> > Scott,
swb> > 
swb> > I don't have an opinion on the discussion, but if I were to propose
swb> > an problem, it would probably be along the lines that:
swb> > 
swb> > 	The mechanics of face-to-face meeting times are often not managed
swb> > 	effectively.
swb> 
swb> I liked Cyrus's original, large explication of the problem.

Cyrus Shaoul
CEO
Tomigaia Inc.
http://www.tomigaia.com/
[email-masked]
646-645-6881

---

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:48:36 -0700

John

I would list the problems as:

    1)    There is a legal requirement to provide equal levels of access to
the processes in whatever language(s) that we choose, and that is part of
the Americans with Disabilities Act and nothing else. The IETF is a US
Corporate Structure (an arm of ISOC which is a US Corporation) and so the
IETF MUST meet the ADA's requirements whatever that means I am willing to
bet  (lets ask  our counsel - "Jorge do you concur here?")

    2)    There is an organizational mandate to provide capture of any
solutions to meet #1 above as part of the global and interactive records of
the IETF. And this is true for both forensic purposes but also to promote
equal access.

    3)    Now and only now, does the ESL issue pop up, but it is the third
issue on this list not the first.  Also realize that for each language
supported the IETF will be mandated to address #1's and #2's issues and
requirements for meeting them making processing ESL type disclosures VERY
costly with the current setups IMHO.

Any comments?

Todd

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 3:16 AM
Subject: RE: Hearing and Speaking Problems
forNon-NativeEnglishspeakingparticipants.

Scott,

John