Subject: Revised COACH BOF Agenda

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 07:36:19 -0700 (PDT)

Comprehensive apprOACH to quality BOF (COACH)

Monday, July 14 at 0900-1130
=============================

CHAIRS: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
        John Loughney <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:  [email-masked]

FULL DESCRIPTION:

This BOF will focus on proposals for quality improvement within the IETF
process, and determine if there is enough substance to work on a framework
within which these proposals are evaluated. The outcome of the BOF will be
to determine how best to proceed with these issues in the IETF.

There are concerns about the quality and timeliness of IETF output.
These problems are enumerated in the IETF Problem Statement, currently
under development in the Problem Statement Working Group.
The current IETF Problem Resolution Process document suggests
that a Working Group be formed to improve the quality processes,
including review processes, used by IETF Working Groups.

The goals of this BOF will be to determine a basic approach that the IETF
could take to WG process improvement, examine some of the documented
proposal for process improvement, and determine if there is enough
interest and content to warrant the creation of a WG to improve the
quality processes used by Working Groups.

One goal is to write one or more documents on aspects of a WG quality
plan. For example, a document on tracking tools - what's available, and
more importantly, how to use them to improve quality.  Another document on
reviews - how they might be conducted, the rules for reviewing, choosing
reviewers, etc. Another document providing a sample Working Group quality
plan.

The benefit of this is that it while it requires Working Groups to think
about the issue, it doesn't require that all working groups come up with
the same plan.

READING LIST:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2360.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-loughney-coach-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-problem-issue-statement-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-problem-process-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wasserman-wg-process-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-overload-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carpenter-solution-sirs-01.txt

AGENDA:

Agenda Bashing (5 minutes)

Introduction (10 minutes)
   Existing RFC editorial guidelines - Scott Bradner
   http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2360.txt

Quality: Overview and Framework (20 minutes)

  A Comprehensive Approach to Quality (10 minutes), Bernard Aboba
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-loughney-coach-00.txt

  IETF  Problem Resolution Processes (10 minutes) - Margaret Wasserman
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-problem-process-00.txt

Starting New Work (20 minutes)

  The BOF Process: A Critique (10 minutes)
  Leslie Daigle

  IESG Overload and Quality of WGs (10 minutes) - John Klensin
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-overload-00.txt

The WG Process (10 minutes)

  Decision points/milestones in the WG process (10 minutes) - Margaret Wasserman
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wasserman-wg-process-00.txt

The Review Process (20 minutes)

  Careful Additional Review of Documents (CARD) (10 minutes) - Brian Carpenter
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carpenter-solution-sirs-01.txt

  The Review Process in Action: The DCCP WG (10 minutes) - Aaron Falk
      & Allison Mankin

Summary and Discussion (20 minutes)