Subject: RE: Straw process outline for dealing with structural and practic

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:40:37 +0300

Scott,

> I was one who answered Harald's 'do we have to do something in 3 years'
> question with a 'yes' but I see no reason to try and reform a 17 year old
> organization in a few months - unseemly haste at best - lets take the time
> to do it correctly (that does not mean we should do nothing for the next
> year)

I also answered 'do we have to do something in 3 years' question with a 'yes'
because it is less & less 'fun' doing things in the IETF & it feels like it
takes more & more effort to get less results.  

Please note, though, there are those among us who have been arguing
that 'nothing' has gotten done since Yokohama, and perhaps Harald feels
that he wants to make it imperative that we address the problems in the
IETF, so I am sympathetic to him.

I somehow feel like part of the solution will be distributing the
responsibility & accountability further around the IETF - I do
believe that the IESG individually & as a whole do care deeply about
the IETF.  I think that we also need to be working smarter, not
harder.

You may be asking what my point is, and simply put, I don't have a solution
in my back pocket for this, but I would be really happy to hear what some
smart people have to say about how to fix things.  I wouldn't even
mind if some current (& past) I* members put forth proposals.

br,
John