Subject: RFCs in HTML strawman

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:54:30 -0400 (EDT)

this discussion doesn't belong here.

I've written a brief summaries of the barriers to using HTML for RFCs
and placed it at
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/opinions/whether-rfcs-in-html.html
It also explains what I believe would be necessary to make HTML be
an acceptable format for IETF.  It might be that the problems are
solvable by someone with enough expertise in HTML and knowledge of
the available tools.   I'll update the page as people send me corrections and
additions.

Also, for several years there's been a list for discussing RFCs in HTML.
A pointer to that list is in the above document.

Now can we please drop this subject from the problem-statement list?

Keith

] > As I said, I can't remember a time when the people
] > present who went up to mike to defend ASCII numbered less than at
] > least 3 times number of people who wanted to use some propietary
] > (i.e., MS Word) or non-editable (i.e., Postscript) formats.
] 
] This is a straw man. HTML is a completely open format.
] 
] If you use XHTML and define the schema appropriately you can 
] easily verify that no proprietary extensions have been used.
] 
] Alternatively there are plenty of tools to verify against a DTD.
] 
] 
] 		Phill