Subject: ISSUE: Estimation procedures versus acceptable timeframes unclear

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:44:49 +0200

In -issue- section 2.2, this bullet occurs:

   o  Better estimation procedures need to be used to determine what the
      expected delivery timescale for Working Group outputs should be.
      These estimates must be compared with the acceptable market and
      customer time frames for the work to be ready, and the scope of
      the work adjusted if timely delivery appears impossible.  This
      process must be repeated from time to time during the project.

ISSUE: This bullet point is framed in terms of solution space.

SUGGESTED RESOLUTION: Rephrase as
 o The acceptable timeframes for finishing a piece of work, and the 
criteria used to determine them, are rarely if ever explicitly documented. 
Also, the estimates of the time required to complete the work is often very 
far from the result. The combination of these sources of error makes 
adjusting the work to fit the timeframe requirements a very difficult 
exercise.

---

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:14:57 -0400

I really like this wording change.
/jim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 4:45 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: ISSUE: Estimation procedures versus acceptable 
> timeframes unclear
> 
>