Subject: MINOR ISSUE: Change focus from image to effectiveness

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:00:58 +0200

Section 2.1 of -issue-, last paragraph, says:

   The IETF creates standards and is therefore necessarily a Standards
   Development Organization (SDO) but many participants would like to
   differentiate the IETF and its way of working from the 'conventional'
   SDOs which emphasize corporate involvement and mandated delegates.
   Externally, the IETF is often placed in the same bracket as these
   conventional SDOs, especially by detractors, because the
   differentiation in the IETF's mission and processes and the rationale
   for those differences are not clear.  This can lead to the IETF being
   shown in a poor light or communications between SDOs not being
   effective.

ISSUE: This paragraph brings the IETF "being shown in a poor light" as a 
problem. This should not be a core problem.

SUGGESTED RESOLUTION: Reformulate the last sentence to say that "This can 
lead to the IETF being misunderstood by other SDOs, which can make 
communication with other SDOs less effective, harming the IETF's ability to 
achieve its mission".

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:27:12 -0700

Harald,

HTA> SUGGESTED RESOLUTION: Reformulate the last sentence to say that "This can
HTA> lead to the IETF being misunderstood by other SDOs, which can make 
HTA> communication with other SDOs less effective, harming the IETF's ability to
HTA> achieve its mission".

yes. much better.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:[email-masked]>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <http://www.brandenburg.com>
 Sunnyvale, CA  USA <tel:+1.408.246.8253>, <fax:+1.866.358.5301>