Subject: MINOR ISSUE: Perception of Kobe

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:32:52 +0200

-issue- says:

2.5 The IETF Management Structure is not Matched to the Current Size and
    Complexity of the IETF

   The management and technical review processes currently in place were
   adequate for the older, smaller organization, but are apparently not
   scalable to the current size of the organization. One set of changes
   has already been made with the Internet Engineering Steering Group
   (IESG) taking over some of the functions of the Internet Architecture
   Board (IAB) as a result of the Kobe agreement in 1992, but that is
   now a long time ago, and the organization has undergone considerable
   further growth as well as extending the scope of its activities as
   the Internet has become more complex.

ISSUE: The Kobe changes did not address scaling at all (see Crocker's 
description)
SUGGESTED RESOLUTION: Replace "One set of changes.....1992" with "The form 
of the organization has not been significantly modified since 1992".

(BTW, it was not the "Kobe agreement" - the events at Kobe provided the 
trigger for the process that led to the POISED WG and its output)