Subject: Re: Listing affiliations

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:31:04 -0700

Harald,

I note that the IESG page http://www.ietf.org/iesg.html now lists the 
affiliation of the IESG members and liaisons.

Thanks for making this happen.

Bob

p.s. The equivalent IAB page still needs some work.

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:46:59 -0400

Bob,

I do have an item on my "to do" list to take this up with the IAB.

I will observe that there are at least 3 different theories
at play:

	. the community wants to know what companies are supporting
	  the people on the iab/iesg

	. the employers (for those of us fortunate enough to have them) of 
	  the people on the iab/iesg would like some recognition of the fact 
	  they are contributing employee resources

	. we are all contributing as individuals (still)

It's the latter point that has caused IAB members *not* to be introduced
with affiliations at plenaries, and the affiliations not to be posted
on the IAB web page.

A couple or few years ago, I suggested it would be helpful to have
brief statement (or web page) about/from each IAB member, linked
off the IAB member listing page, so that people could have a clue what areas
of interest/expertise the various IAB members have.  It strikes
me that would be an appropriate place to list affiliations.

You can see how well the idea flew the last time I proposed it.

I do have an item on my "to do" list to take this up with the IAB.

Leslie.

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reality:
      Yours to discover."
                                 -- ThinkingCat 

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:25:31 -0700

many of us have, for various reasons, personal web pages.  perhaps
the ietf.org web listing, instead of a mailto: should have an http:?

randy

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:22:58 -0700

Leslie,

>I do have an item on my "to do" list to take this up with the IAB.

Thanks.

>         . the employers (for those of us fortunate enough to have them) 
> of        the people on the iab/iesg would like some recognition of the 
> fact      they are contributing employee resources
>

I think these are all true and don't think they are conflicting.

>with affiliations at plenaries, and the affiliations not to be posted

I don't have a strong view if IAB members should be introduced in the 
plenary with their affiliations.  I don't think it is necessary as long as 
their affiliations are publicly available (e.g., on the IAB web page).  I 
don't see any harm if it was done either.

>me that would be an appropriate place to list affiliations.

I think short bio's for IESG and IAB members would be nice for the reasons 
you state.  My preference for this would be in addition to a listing of 
name and affiliation.

>I do have an item on my "to do" list to take this up with the IAB.

Thanks,
Bob

---

From: John Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:27:38 -0400

At 8:46 AM -0400 6/26/03, Leslie Daigle wrote:
><snip>

FWIW, in thinking about other groups or committees that perform 
functions similar to some of the work of the IAB, the expert 
committees of the National Research Council of the U.S. National 
Academies of Science come to mind.  As a number of IABers obviously 
know (since they have served on those committees), the NRC publishes 
useful bios for all members of all of its committees.  See for 
example 
http://www4.nas.edu/webcr.nsf/CommitteeDisplay/CSTB-L-99-07-A?OpenDocument

The NRC certainly has a number of legal requirements of openness that 
do not apply to the IAB, but I still think that those NRC bios set a 
good example for the IAB to follow.

John