Subject: ISSUE: Recognizing that conflict over the IETF principles can exist

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:30:33 +0200

Section 2.7 of -issue- says:

   The IETF currently has voluntary and inconsistent processes for
   educating its participants which may be why significant numbers of
   participants seem to fail to conform to the proper principles when
   working in the IETF context.

   The people in authority have generally been steeped in the principles
   of the IETF (as they see them) and first-time non-compliance by newer
   participants is sometimes treated as an opportunity for abuse rather
   than by recognition of a training failure.

ISSUE: This paragraph ignores the fact that some participants understand 
the principles, but disagree with them; the openness principle says that we 
do not exclude such people. So we need to expect conflict.

SUGGESTED RESOLUTION: Not clear.....

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:32:21 -0400

> ISSUE: This paragraph ignores the fact that some participants
> understand the principles, but disagree with them; the openness
> principle says that we do not exclude such people. So we need to
> expect conflict.

I'm not sure whether the openness principle extends to those who do not
work for the good of the Internet as a whole.  IMHO, it does not.  That
doesn't mean we have a objective means of deciding who is doing so...

Keith