Subject: Fwd: Re: Education BOF Request

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:10:01 -0400

Hi All,

You may be interested in the status of the training efforts.  Thomas
Narten has played a big part in leading these efforts, but he's
currently on vacation, so I get the privilege of telling you about
them...

Over the past year, we've seen an increased interest in training/
preparation for WG Chairs, Editors and IETF Participants.  The need
for improvement in this area was also identified as a problem in
the problem statement.

The process document mentions our ongoing efforts in this area.  We
also discussed our WG Chairs training programs on this list a couple
of months back, and folks pointed out the need for more visibility
and openness in this effort.

So, to advance our educational programs, invite community participation
and provide increased visibility into this effort, we'll be holding an
Education BOF in Vienna (see the approved BOF request below).  One goal
of this BOF will be to decide how to organize and manage our internal
educational efforts moving forward.

I thought folks might be interested to know that the problem-statement
effort is already making a difference.

Margaret

BOF NAME & ACRONYM: Education BOF (edu)
AREA:               General
BOF CHAIR(S):       Margaret Wasserman

MAILING LIST:
List:               [email-masked]
Subscribe:          [email-masked]
Body:              "subscribe wgchairs-training" (no quotes)
Archive:            http://ops.ietf.org/lists/wgchairs-training/

AGENDA:
    - Intro and Agenda Bashing (5 min)
    - Review Existing Programs and Resources (10 min)
       - Newcomer/Participant Training
       - WG Chair Training
       - Other Educational Resources
    - Plans/Direction for Participant Education (15 min)
    - Plans/Direction for Editor Education (15 min)
    - Plans/Direction for WG Chair Education (15 min)
    - Options for Training Organization/Management (10 min)
         - Open Discussion (30 min)
    - Next Steps and Action Items (20 min)

FULL DESCRIPTION:

This BOF will discuss internal training and development
programs and educational resources for IETF participants
and leaders.

The IETF has been educating IETF participants and leaders for
many years, via formal training classes, educational web
sites, published materials and formal and informal mentoring
programs.  Our educational efforts have included training sessions
for newcomers, introductory training sessions for new WG chairs,
and educational web resources for WG chairs, document editors and
other participants.  There have also been educational sessions for
IETF participants held at some IETF plenary meetings.

Over the past year, there has been an increasing awareness of
the need for better educational programs and resources for
IETF WG chairs, document editors and other participants.

A grass-roots effort was initiated to expand the WG Chairs
training program to include ongoing education for continuing
WG chairs.  The Newcomers training, formerly provided by the
IETF Secretariat, has been folded in to the WG Chairs training
effort.  Also, we've discussed the development of training
programs or resources for document editors and other IETF
participants.

As this effort expands beyond the area of WG chairs training,
it is increasingly important to have the IETF community involved
in this effort -- both to give the community more visibility
into these activities, and to receive input and assistance from
the wider community in developing our educational programs
and resources.

In this BOF, we'll discuss the IETF's existing educational
programs and resources, and we'll discuss how those programs
could be enhanced or expanded in the future.  We will also
discuss how best to organize and managed our educational
programs on an ongoing basis, including a discussion of
whether we should form a Working Group to further this effort.

At the San Francisco IETF in March 2003, a voluntary session
was held for IESG members and WG chairs to discuss training
for ongoing WG chairs.  The notes from that session can be
found at:

http://www.psg.com/~mrw/WGChairs_Training_Notes_Mar03.txt

BOF attendees should also familiarize themselves with our
existing training materials and on-line educational resources.

For Newcomers:
http://www.ietf.org/newcomer/frame.htm
http://www.ietf.org/overview.html

For WG Chairs:
http://psg.com/~mrw/WGChairs_Training_Mar03.ppt
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/wgchairs.html

Examples of Participant Training:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/01dec/slides/plenary-3/index.html
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/02mar/slides/plenary-3/index.html

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:13:17 -0700

Margaret,

MW> For WG Chairs:
MW> http://psg.com/~mrw/WGChairs_Training_Mar03.ppt

these slides look quite good.  besides offering an introduction to the
necessary structure and formality, they hammer at the need for forward
progress, and the responsibility of the wg chair to achieve it.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:[email-masked]>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <http://www.brandenburg.com>
 Sunnyvale, CA  USA <tel:+1.408.246.8253>, <fax:+1.866.358.5301>

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 17:19:52 -0400

Thanks, Dave!

I'm working on an updated version for Vienna that will further
trim down the Administrivia and will add more information about
the role and responsibilities of WG chairs, based on feedback
received in SF.

If anyone has constructive comments on these materials, they
are certainly welcome!

Margaret