Subject: RE: WG / documentation question

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 16:43:07 +0300

Hi Avri,

> I am not sure what you mean by unbounded.  If you mean that one does not 
> know the termination point before it is reached, then I don't agree with 
> you.  On the other hand if you mean a looping conversation then I do.

Looping conversations are one example, or another example is a thread/topic
that just dies & there seem to be no summary or conclusion reached ...

> > I understand you want to listen, but it would be helpful to be 
> > 'managing' the discussion, trying to summarize long threads, making
> > conclusions, etc.
> 
> This is an interesting issue.  As has been mentioned on several 
> occasions there are different styles of chairing.  I think that
> they range from micro management to exception management.  I tend away
> from micro management and do not believe in curtailing or trying to
> shape the dialogue except for when it strays to far from the charter;
> i.e. basically a form of exception management.  But I do 
> admit to being very liberal in what I accept as being on topic.

I'm a big proponent of trying to reach some conclusions and those
conclusions be explicitly stated, even if it is simply repeating
that what everyone knows.  I have found that trying to repeat
/ summarize what people are saying tends to either clarify the
result or indicate that what I or others thought was a conclusion
was not the same thing that others thought.

John

---

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 09:53:37 -0400

Melinda and Avri,

Can we make our meeting in Vienna not on Friday? I am rethinking I have
to be at IETF for multiple reasons and have to plan?  I am sure others
do too.  As it is in the middle of European and U.S. vacation time I am
sure many will want to get back as soon as possible.
Any strategy yet?

Thanks
/jim