Subject: RE: what are the real problems

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 11:57:34 +0200

Aaron responds to Randy:

> You've been around the IETF much longer than I.  Do you sense that the
> level of conservatism in the IESG has increased over time?  My
> perception is that, as more non-computer scientists get on the
> Internet, it has been viewed as more of a utility, i.e., "it just
> works."  It wouldn't surprise me if there is a reduced tolerance of
> risk by the IESG to protect these users.  In other words, the
> interpretation of stewardship of the Internet has changed from "let's
> grow something neat" (or "let 1000 flowers bloom") to "let's keep this
> cool thing from breaking" (or "let's not confuse the marketplace").
> 

I don't think that "let's grow a neat thing" and "let a 1000 flowers bloom"
are the same thing, are they? 

Bert

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 05:58:20 -0500

Dear Bert and Randy,

I was assuming that Aaron's "1000 flowers" reference was to the
"Hundred Flowers" campaign in the People's Republic of China -
if so, I note that we could kill ninety percent of the ideas and
STILL "let 100 flowers blossom"...

http://www.megastories.com/china/unueco/flowers.htm

Not that letting "100 flowers bloom" was a great idea either,
but maybe a 90% fallout rate would be a start?

Spencer

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 07:43:52 -0700

Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
> Aaron responds to Randy:
> 
> > In other words, the interpretation of stewardship of the Internet
> > has changed from "let's grow something neat" (or "let 1000 flowers
> > bloom") to "let's keep this cool thing from breaking" (or "let's
> > not confuse the marketplace").
> > 
> 

Bert-

My suggestion, of which I was seeking confirmation, was that both
statements represented the attitude held in former days not that they
were synonymous.  Using "and" rather than "or" would have been
clearer.  (I can be a lousy editor)

--aaron  (gratefully not speaking for the RFC Editor :)