Subject: draft-carpenter-solution-sirs-00.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 15:33:35 +0300

Brian & Dave,

I like the draft; I am more impressed with the idea after
reading the draft then I was when it was originally proposed.

It might be useful to include mechanisms to allow objections
from document editors & also mention that document reviewers should
avoid or at least state conflicts of interests upfront.

Another question, how should we handle SIRs that are active
in the WG they are reviewing?  Should this fall under a potential
conflict of interest?

John

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 06:37:24 -0700

john,

jlnc> Another question, how should we handle SIRs that are active
jlnc> in the WG they are reviewing?  Should this fall under a potential
jlnc> conflict of interest?

The question of SIR direct involvement strikes me as one that could be
decided in either direction.

If we simply view the role of an SIR to be one of contributing an
experienced eye, then direct involvement well might be a good thing.
In fact, it well might be necessary, to help the working group break
through "strategic" technical log-jams.

If we are worried that direct involvement could cloud that eye, then
it is important that they have a degree of detachment.

As someone who never lets my strong advocacy of technical positions
cloud their judgement about problems, of course I believe there is no
problem with the direct involvement.  And of course, most other senior
folk in the community equally sustain excellent professional
detachment from technical debates.

mumble.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:[email-masked]>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <http://www.brandenburg.com>
 Sunnyvale, CA  USA <tel:+1.408.246.8253>, <fax:+1.866.358.5301>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 17:30:36 +0200

Maybe we should be good citizens and discuss this on the 
[email-masked] list?

  Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 
On assignment at the IBM Zurich Laboratory, Switzerland