Subject: Re: [payload] Interest in raft-ietf-avt-rtp-isac

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 12:12:55 +0100

On 02/27/2012 09:09 PM, Ali C. Begen (abegen) wrote:
> WG,
>
> We have a milestone for this draft and we passed the target date some time ago. AFAICT, the current draft has expired and there was no continued work on this draft. I wonder whether the WG still has interest in finishing this work. Please reply to this email (cc'ing the payload list) if you have an interest/desire in seeing this document finished.
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-isac/
I have checked with the relevant ex-Gips team (now Google), and it seems 
that we don't have any particular reason to make this a high priority at 
the moment. It's stable code.

Do other participants see a benefit in having this spec published as an RFC?
> Thanks.
> -acbegen
> _______________________________________________
> payload mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/payload
>

---

From: "Kevin P. Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:52:29 -0600

On 03/01/2012 05:12 AM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> We have a milestone for this draft and we passed the target date some
>> time ago. AFAICT, the current draft has expired and there was no
>> continued work on this draft. I wonder whether the WG still has
>> interest in finishing this work. Please reply to this email (cc'ing
>> the payload list) if you have an interest/desire in seeing this
>> document finished.
>>

At the request of a community member, I've just started working on 
adding support for iSAC passthrough in Asterisk, and while investigating 
it I learned that Chrome can currently generate/accept offers with iSAC 
at 32kHz sample rate, which is not included in this draft.

If Google is going to continue to distribute iSAC support in products 
(and others are as well), I'd be happy to see this draft updated to 
match the current state of deployments and get pushed towards publication.

-- 
Kevin P. Fleming
Digium, Inc. | Director of Software Technologies
Jabber: [email-masked] | SIP: [email-masked] | Skype: kpfleming
445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - USA
Check us out at www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 17:07:30 +0100

I've queried within Google, and we're going to resurrect the draft.
It'll be a while still until we manage to get the information about 32 
kHz sample rate added, sorry.

                 Harald

On 03/01/2012 05:52 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> adding support for iSAC passthrough in Asterisk, and while 
> investigating it I learned that Chrome can currently generate/accept 
> offers with iSAC at 32kHz sample rate, which is not included in this 
> draft.
>

---

From: "Kevin P. Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:10:43 -0600

> kHz sample rate added, sorry.

No problem. Based on experiments it looks pretty easy to support 32kHz 
mode anyway.