Subject: [nmrg] AFRICOMM2017: Call for papers on Internet measurements - Deadline August 15th - Conference 11-12 December 2017, Lagos, Nigeria

From: Amreesh Phokeer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 20:56:54 +0200

{apologies for cross-posting}
{please circulate}

*Call for Papers*

Workshop on Internet Measurements Research in Africa
<http://africommconference.org/2017/show/IMRA>

Internet measurements provide useful insights into the accessibility of the
Internet (e.g. coverage of WiFi and cellular networks), performance (e.g.
Internet throughput and latency) and Internet usage. Internet development
campaigners, national regulators, and policy makers in the developing
regions are recognising the crucial role that Internet measurement data can
play in facilitating evidence-based policy-making and regulation. While the
Internet ecosystem comprises a diversity of stakeholders and service
providers, it is difficult for any single stakeholder to access all of
Internet topology data without the cooperation of the rest of the Internet
community. For this reason, appropriate acquisition of Internet data
requires a variety of cooperative research methods, including wide
distribution of Internet probes for technical measurements, located in
diverse locations and networks, as well as region-specific techniques and
demand-side surveys on Internet access and usage.

The aim of the workshop is to facilitate discussions around mechanisms and
challenges of measuring Africa’s Internet; to evaluate the breadth of
Internet measurements research and to formulate strategic directions for
such research in Africa; and to initiate and accelerate collaboration among
Africa’s Internet measurements researchers.

The workshop is calling for high-quality papers that are focused on
Internet measurements research in Africa. Papers are invited on topics
related to:
● End-to-end Internet performance metrics
● Internet topology characteristics, including peering and routing
● Application-level performance, including DNS, Web, CDNs, Cloud Computing
● Physical layer performance measurements, including for TVWS, WiFi, and
3G/4G
● Detection of middleboxes, censorship, and content filtering
● Data analytics for network monitoring, traffic analysis and network
● Network topology and performance visualization
● Internet access, use, and Quality of Experience (QoE)

Submissions should be made electronically as PDF in the Confy system: IMRA
track <http://confy.eai.eu/#conftrack-overview/conf/52446/cid/52366> .
Papers will be selected through a single-blind peer-review process.
Accepted papers will be included in the conference proceedings and will be
published in Springer digital library.

Important deadlines

Submission
15 AUGUST 2017
Notification
30 AUGUST 2017
Camera-ready submission
30 OCTOBER 2017
Conference takes place
11-12 DECEMBER 2017

*Submission Guidelines and Paper Submission:*

Please check the submission guidelines here:
*http://africommconference.org/2017/show/initial-submission*
<http://http//africommconference.org/2017/show/initial-submission>
All the papers should be in English and formatted according to the Author's
Kit
IMRA papers should be submitted into 'IMRA track
<http://confy.eai.eu/#conftrack-overview/track/1779/cid/52366>" in confy

*Publications:*
Accepted papers will be published in Springer's LNICST series and will
appear in the SpringerLink, one of the largest digital libraries online
that covers a variety of scientific disciplines, as well as in the EAI's
own EU Digital Library (EUDL). LNICST volumes are submitted for inclusion
to leading indexing services, including DBLP, Google Scholar, ISI
Proceedings, EI Engineering Index, CrossRef, Scopus.