Subject: Re: [nmrg] NMRG leadership application
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Olivier Festor" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lisandro Granville <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:19:36 +0100
List-Id: Network Management Research Group <nmrg.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>

Thanks to both of you for stepping up and let me express my support as a
participant. I know personally know only Oliver, but I trust that
professor Granville will be a good partner. The list of topics is
interesting and relevant for the status of the industry and research in
the field. 
 
Regards,
 
Dan
 
________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Olivier Festor
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Lisandro Granville; Olivier Festor
Subject: [nmrg] NMRG leadership application

	Dear NMRG'ers 

	When our colleague Juergen Schoenwaelder announced on this list
his intent to pass the baton of the NRMG leadership, my colleague
Lisandro Zambenedetti Granville (Associate Professor at the Federal
University of Rio Grande do Sul, in Brazil) and myself (Olivier Festor,
senior researcher at INRIA  France) have expressed to him our interest
in pursuing the work he did initiate and successfully achieve in the
driving of the NMRG. We hereby officially apply to drive the NMRG effort
for the next period.

	Both Lisandro and myself have been active in the network and
service management community for more than a decade now and have a good
experience with the Internet landscape of management protocols (either
standards or ongoing efforts). We are convinced that the NMRG has an
important role to play in bridging the research community with the IETF
Operations and Management community in order to jointly prepare the
ground for future management solutions for the Internet. Among the
topics we believe are  to be addressed by the NMRG though workshops and
meetings and which can be helpful to the IETF world : 

	- Network wide configuration (safe-configuration of multiple
devices); impact on configuration protocols and supporting data models;

	- Management protocols and operations in constrained networks
(low power and lossy networks)

	- Measurements including internet scale measurement campaigns,
e.g. for testing particular aspects of service availability or net
neutrality respect

	- Impact of self-management practices on Internet management
protocols

	- Topics/themes pointed by research group members 

	Lisandro and myself commit to host the whole support
infrastructure to allow appropriate sharing and dissemination of NMRG
information and knowledge. We have also the support from our
institutions to spend the time and the resources necessary to animate in
very good conditions the research group including the joining and/or
hosting of events.

	We hope that our application will be accepted by the research
group and we look forward to organize the next NMRG event jointly with
either one of the scientific conference in the area covered by the NMRG
or at one of the next IETF events (maybe already at IETF 80 in Prague)
and start exchanging and working with you on the above listed topics and
all the new ones that may emerge from the research group.

	Best Regards

	Olivier Festor and Lisandro Grandville