Subject: [netmod] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netmod-schema-mount-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 05:16:40 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the NETCONF Data Modeling Language of the IETF.

        Title           : YANG Schema Mount
        Authors         : Martin Bjorklund
                          Ladislav Lhotka
	Filename        : draft-ietf-netmod-schema-mount-05.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2017-05-16

Abstract:
   This document defines a mechanism to combine YANG modules into the
   schema defined in other YANG modules.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-schema-mount/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-schema-mount-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-netmod-schema-mount-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-netmod-schema-mount-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 14:24:34 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

This version resolves the issue around parent references in
XPath/leafrefs in mounted modules.  Please check the text in section
4, and the corresponding YANG nodes ("parent-reference").

There are still some open issues, see Appendix B.  These issues will
be dicsussed at the Virutal Interim Meeting next Monday.

/martin & lada

[email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod
>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 15:40:44 -0700

Hi,

I am glad you got rid of the when-stmt.
The parent-reference is defined as an xpath1.0 string, but
the example in sec A.3 is just the string "ietf-interfaces" not
an XPath expression at all. Is this what you meant?
Should it be "/ietf-interfaces:ietf-interfaces"?

Also open issue B.3 says design time mounts are not supported yet but
sec 1 (Intro) says they are out of scope:

   The schema mount mechanism defined in this document provides support
   only for the latter two cases because design-time definition of the
   mounted schema doesn't play well with the existing YANG modularity
   mechanisms.  For example, it would be impossible to augment the
   mounted data model.

I agree with sec 1. Leave them out of scope.

Andy

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 09:42:27 +0200

> On 17 May 2017, at 00:40, Andy Bierman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 

Me too. With the parent references one can achieve the same using regular "when".

> Should it be "/ietf-interfaces:ietf-interfaces"?

Oops, this example hasn't been updated. :-( It should be "/if:ietf-interfaces" and the prefix "if" needs to be defined in the "/schema-mounts/namespace" list.

> I agree with sec 1. Leave them out of scope.

I agree.

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: 0xB8F92B08A9F76C67

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 09:46:57 +0200 (CEST)

> an XPath expression at all. Is this what you meant?

No; bug.

> Should it be "/ietf-interfaces:ietf-interfaces"?

It should be "/if:interfaces", and "if" should be declared in the
"namespace" list.  Will fix.  Thank's for catching this!

> I agree with sec 1. Leave them out of scope.

I also agree.  This is open until we have WG consensus.

/martin

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 08:17:18 -0400

> I also agree.  This is open until we have WG consensus.

(As contributor)
I'm fine with leaving such support out of scope for this document, but
disagree with the text.  How about just keeping it simple and say:

  The schema mount mechanism defined in this document provides support
   only for the latter two cases, i.e., design-time mounts are not specified by this document.

Lou

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 14:27:16 +0200

> On 18 May 2017, at 14:17, Lou Berger <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> I'm fine with leaving such support out of scope for this document, but disagree with the text.  How about just keeping it simple and say:

Fine with me.

Lada

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 09:13:27 +0200

>    specified by this document.

I used this wording, is it OK?

The schema mount mechanism defined in this document provides support
only for the latter two cases. Design-time mounts are outside the scope
of this document, and could be possibly dealt with in a future revision
of the YANG data modeling language.

Lada