Subject: [netmod] Fwd: WG Last Call for draft-ietf-netmod-acl-model-09 (until Oct 27, 2016)

From: David Bannister <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 17:39:11 -0400

I was asked to resend this to the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Bannister <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: [netmod] WG Last Call for draft-ietf-netmod-acl-model-09
(until Oct 27, 2016)
To: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Dean Bogdanovic <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]

I would like to see a model which is a standardized and contains the basic
L2, L3 and L4 fields to make it useful for for data plane, control plane,
management plane and day-to-day troubleshooting.  The current iteration of
the draft does not meet these requirements. Vendor augmentation is not an
acceptable answer for fields which are well defined, well understood and
standardized by the IETF.  Vendors do not standardize amongst themselves
willingly. This leads the network operator to deal with multiple versions
of the same model if augmentation is used.  As a network operator we want
to reduce complexity in network management, not increase.  If we need a
feature which only one vendor has we accept the fact we must augment from
that vendor's proprietary model.  For vendors or devices that cannot
support all pieces of a proposed model a deviation can be provided.

L2
Given that the IEEE has yet to define an Ethernet model makes the ACL
draft, and others, somewhat problematic.  However, it is well known, well
understood and standardized elsewhere.  Each ethertype should have an
associated node which represents the data for that ethertype to allow for
matching in the ACL.  The following list of ethertypes is considered
mandatory: IPv6-uni, IPv6-multi, IPv4-uni, IPv4-multi, MPLS-uni,
MPLS-multi,  802.1q and if you feel something is missing please add.

All the L3 and L4 fields below are well defined, well understood and
standardized by the IETF.
L3
The layer 3 portion of the ACL draft needs to add the following for IPv4:
TTL, Len, IHL, ECN, Ident, Flags, offset.  IPv6 add traffic class, len,
next header and hop limit.

L4
For TCP add sequence, ack#, offset, Resv, TCP-flags, window size, urgent
pointer and options.  For UDP add Length.  ICMP add type, code and rest of
header.