Subject: [netmod] NETCONF/NETMOD charters and the revised-datastores draft

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:14:23 +0100

Dear all,

The NETMOD chairs, the NETCONF chairs, and I had a call regarding 
draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores & charters.

First of, we must stress that this piece of work is an essential 
building block in the world of data model-driven management.
We also believe we have the right set of people working on this. Good.
So, in the end, the location (NETMOD or NETCONF) has been of lesser 
importance to me.
I believe that we've been spending too much time debating where to 
develop this work, NETMOD or NETCONF.  Now it's time to make a decision.

While the NETMOD WG charter focuses on the YANG language developments & 
encodings & some generic YANG modules, while the NETCONF WG charter 
focuses on the protocol constructs, we've been having blurry boundaries 
at times. Ex: is the YANG library a generic YANG module or an element of 
YANG module discovery, replacing the NETCONF hello message?
We now deal with a third aspect: the non-protocol specific aspects of 
YANG or the operating context of the YANG language. With the 
draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores in mind, data stores can be 
considered as views on YANG data models.

After much discussion, the decisions are that the 
draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores should be worked in the NETMOD WG 
and that the targeted status of standard track is right (to be described 
in the milestone, as guideline).

Unless there are new arguments, not yet brought up to the two lists, 
let's now devote our energy to the specifications work.

Regards, Benoit (OPS AD).