Subject: [netmod] draft minutes of the netmod meeting in atlanta

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:16:44 +0100

Hi,

I have posted minutes of the netmod meeting in atlanta.

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/85/minutes/minutes-85-netmod

Please let me know if something needs to fixed. Thanks to Lisandro
Granville for taking notes. WG editors, please check whether any
actions need to be taken to move things forward. In particular,

 - the system data model editors may want to consult RADIUS experts
   regarding the RADIUS client authentication configuration
   information needed and

 - the snmp configuration data model editors may want to consult with
   Wes Hardacker and Robert Story on any differences between SNMP MIB
   modules and the YANG data model and what is lacking with regard to
   other transports.

Updates to the interfaces, IP and routing data models have already
been posted and a second WG last call has been issued (please review).

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 07:30:00 -0800

>    regarding the RADIUS client authentication configuration
I already heard from Alan DeKok who suggested that there
is an IANA registry for EAP types.

I assume he means the EAP Method Types:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/eap-numbers/eap-numbers.xml#eap-numbers-3

Andy

> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod
>

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:47:09 +0100 (CET)

> http://www.iana.org/assignments/eap-numbers/eap-numbers.xml#eap-numbers-3

Specifically, he wrote:

alan>   OK.  I took a quick look at it.  I'm wary of having yet another
alan> registry.  If at all possible, it would be preferable to leverage
alan> existing registries.
alan> 
alan>   There is an IANA registry for EAP types.  Could netmod just reference
alan> that?
alan> 
alan>   e.g. just define a "radius-eap" type, with a "method" parameter that
alan> contains the actual EAP type to use.

I think this would mean something like this:

  identity radius-eap {
    base radius-authentication-type;
  }

and in the radius config:

  leaf eap-method {
    when "../authentication-type = radius-eap";
    mandatory true;
    type ???;
  }

One problem is the ??? above.  The IANA eap method regsitry defines
integer valued methods, and each such integer has a description, but
no symbolic name.  So we would have to use an integer to refer to the
method.  This is clearly not very user-friendly.

So I am thinking that the best option might be to include the base
identity, the pap/chap identities and the authentication type leaf as
suggested by Jeff Lange, but leave EAP out for now.

/martin