Subject: [netext] Question about standardizing new EAP attributes for use with Proxy MIP6

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 19:04:41 +0000

Hello Joe/Alan,

The Netext WG has taken up the I-D:
draft-ietf-netext-wifi-epc-eap-attributes.
This I-D proposes a few new EAP attributes that are applicable in a Proxy
Mobile IPv6 environment. And more specifically for use in a 3GPP wifi
deployment scenario.
The proposed extensions are : 1. APN choice and 2. Handover indication
Using these extensions an MN (Mobile Node) can provide indication to a MAG
(Mobile Access Gateway) about its choice of APN or if the attachment
should be viewed as a handover.

These EAP attributes would be included by an MN when it performs EAP
authentication (EAP-SIM/AKA/AKA').

We would like your feedback and comments about this I-D. We would also
like to keep the EMU WG informed about this work since the expertise w.r.t
EAP attributes and methods lies there.

-Raj

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:26:02 +0200

> EAP attributes and methods lies there.

  I suggest posting a message to the EMU list.  Include a link to the
document, and ask for WG review.

  Joe pointed out that EAP-AKA is informational.  I'm not sure it's OK
to have this document (Proposed Standard) have a dependency on an
Informational RFC.

  The dependency is marked "Informative" in the draft.  But I don't see
how a Proposed Standard document can have *no* Normative dependencies.
It builds on pre-existing work, and must have some Normative dependencies.

  The document mentions EAP-AKA', but doesn't include a reference to RFC
5448.

  The IANA considerations section doesn't specify *where* the
assignments come from.  IANA is usually very literal, and needs detailed
instructions.  You should reference the "EAP-AKA and EAP-SIM Parameters"
registry, and the "Attribute Types (Non-Skippable Attributes 0-127)"

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:31:11 +0000

Thanks Alan for the feedback.
We can change the I-D state from PS to Informational as you and others
have also suggested.

We will send a pointer to the I-D to the EMU list.

-Raj