Subject: What do we do with the model document?

From: Steve Hole <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 12:37:10 -0600

Later on in Pittsburg, a new option was presented to me as to what to do 
with "working document drafts" like our model document.   The idea was 
that we would publish the model document as an informational draft.   The 
contract for the model document was simply to clarify the terminology we 
used in the protocols documents and make sure that we all agreed on a 
service model.

It was pointed out to me that we don't have to publish it as an RFC at 
all.   Just let it expire as it is has done its job.   There is some 
useful content in it that should be expressed somewhere in the protocol 
documents if we don't advance it independently.

So ...

I see that we have the following options.

1.  Continue with the process of making the model document a formal 
product of the working group.   We progress it through last call to either
Informational or Standards Track, depending on whether we want the 
protocol documents to have normative references to it (for terminology I 
guess).   My inclination would be to make it Informational.

2.  Incorporate the base definitions and service model descriptions into 
the protocol documents (one or both of them?) and let the model document 
die as an independent object.

I personally believe that it we should progress it independently as an 
informational document and that the protocol documents NOT have any 
normative references to it.

I would like feedback on this by the end of the week please.   If we go 
with 1., then I will be issuing a working group last call on the model 
document early next week.

Cheers.

---
Steve Hole
Messaging Direct
Mailto:[email-masked]
Phone: 780-424-4922