Subject: msgtrk-protocol-00 comments

From: Gregory Neil Shapiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:52:45 -0700 (PDT)

General comments:

4. Additional Parameter for the MAIL FROM command
   - Is the SMTP command "MAIL" or "MAIL FROM"?
   - Do we want to entertain the idea of turning on tracking only for
     certain recipients?
   - s/after the recipient address/after the sender address/ (MAIL
     specifies sender, not recipient).

9. Authors' Addresses
   - Eric's address is 6603 Shellmound Street, Emeryville, CA 94608.
   - Eric can decide on the proper phone number to include.

Assuming we are going with MTQP, the following changes should be made:

1. Introduction
   - "This memo defines an extension to the SMTP service that provides
     a message tracking solution that satisfies those requirements."
     - This isn't true, "this memo" will provide half of the solution with
       the msgtrk-mtqp draft providing the other half.

2. Framework
   - Remove "** a new SMTP verb, \"MTRK\" is defined."

5. Message Tracking Requests
   - Remove this section.

6.2. Message Tracking Request
   - Remove this section.

If we are *not* going with MTQP, the following should be noted:

7. Security Considerations
   - Should mention use of an encrypted SMTP session, otherwise the
     tracking request is vulnerable to replay attacks such that outsiders
     who snoop a request can later get more information by sending the same
     information again (given that we don't have a shared secret to do APOP
     style authentication).