Subject: Model & Protocol draft comments

From: Gregory Neil Shapiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:47:45 -0800 (PST)

For the benefit of those not at IETF and to give those who are an advanced
preview, here are my comments on the two drafts:

Model draft:

2. Definitions

   "The UA and MSA are often combined into the same program."
   - Add: MTA can act as an MSA

   "The final MTA is what sends any Delivery Status Notificatons (DSNs)."
   - An Intermediate can send a DSN if it relays to a non-DSN aware MTA

   "A Delivery Status Notification [RFC-DSN] is produced by an MTA when a
   message is unsuccessfully delivered, either to its next hop or the final
   message store, or when it is successfully delivered, either to a foreign
   MTA or to a local delivery agent."
   - how about when relaying to a non-DSN aware MTA

Protocol draft:

3. Message Tracking Enabling

   "make a "best effort" to record when messages are passed into other
   environments."
   - what is "best effort"?

   - What happens if tracking requested and passing to an MTA which doesn't
     support tracking?

4.2.3.	Stored Authentication Value

   - Offer use of SHA1 instead of or in addition to MD5?
     - Need to ID hash in the string

5.  Message Tracking Requests

   - Offer 250-TRACK but not allow the MTRK VERB? (i.e., only transfer
     TRACKID info)

6.1.  Message Tracking Enabling

   "S:	25o <[email-masked]>	recipient ok"
   - 250 -^

6.2.  Message Tracking Request

   "C:	MTRK 1234567890123456789012:[email-masked]:0
   S:	-- response to be determined"
   - Add after that:
     "C:	QUIT
      S:	221 goodbye"

7.  Security Considerations

   - Who can track?  Transfering ability to somone else?

9.  Authors' Addresses

   " Eric Allman
     Sendmail, Inc.
     street address
     city, state zip

     Phone: +1"

   - Change to:

   " Eric Allman
     Sendmail, Inc.
     6603 Shellmound Street
     Emeryville, CA 94608

     Phone: +1-510-594-5501"

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:40:06 +0930

>    "The UA and MSA are often combined into the same program."

I also noticed that this draft still uses terminology, such as "Mail 
Submission Agent", which differs significantly from how it is used in 
RFC 2476.  In 2476, an MSA is in lieu of the first MTA; it is what 
the client connects to in order to submit messages into the SMTP 
delivery network.  In this draft, an MSA is whatever completes a 
message; it may be part of the MUA.

I'd suggest deleting the quoted sentence, and replacing it with "an 
MSA is in lieu of the first MTA; it is what the client connects to in 
order to submit messages into the SMTP delivery network."

Also,

>internet byte order (low-endian	???? ) [RFC-????].

The term you want is "Network Byte Order" , which is Big-Endian.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
If there's a possibility that something might be controversial,
then why not eliminate it?
  --Wild Rose, Wis. district administrator, explaining why _Bury
  My Heart at Wounded Knee_ by Dee Brown was removed from schools.