Subject: [midcom] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-umschaden-smime-midcom-sip-proxy-00.txt

From: Klaus Umschaden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:27:15 +0200

I think that this draft may be of interest for this mailing group.

Best regards,
	Klaus

----------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-umschaden-smime-midcom-sip-proxy-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: End-to-end Security for Firewall/NAT Traversal within
                          the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)	: K. Umschaden et al.
	Filename	: draft-umschaden-smime-midcom-sip-proxy-00.txt
	Pages		: 37
	Date		: 2003-5-6

This document describes an extension for the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP), which enables end-to-end security of the Session
Description Protocol (SDP) together with firewall/Network Address
Translation (NAT) traversal. This solution relies on Secure
Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension (S/MIME) and the middlebox
communications (MIDCOM) protocol. The user authorises a proxy server
to encrypt the session description on behalf of the user. The proxy
determines the capabilities of the receiving party and encrypts the
SDP for a SIP proxy server in the receiving domain. Using MIDCOM,
each proxy can dynamically control its firewall to open pinholes or
request NAT bindings for the media flows. As long as each end-user
may contact its trustworthy SIP proxy via a secure connection and
authorise this proxy to encrypt the signalling data, the session
information is secured end-to-end.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-umschaden-smime-midcom-sip-proxy-00
.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-umschaden-smime-midcom-sip-proxy-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-umschaden-smime-midcom-sip-proxy-00.txt".

NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-umschaden-smime-midcom-sip-proxy-00
.txt>

-------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom