Subject: RE: [midcom] RE: midcom digest, Vol 1 #688 - 1 msg

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 17:28:14 -0700

> The RFC is clear on this point. STUN does not help with these
> symmetric NATs. STUN can help discover that this NAT is present. Its
> main benefit is that when it does work, its very effective and very
> cheap for everyone involved.

Another benefit is that STUN can find out that the call will not work,
which can avoid some stupid "ring and silence" scenarios. 

Our experience is that solutions like STUN work well on most residential
NATs. But then, more and more of these NATs are UPNP capable, which is
also quite practical. 

As for the enterprises NAT, they could easily be made STUN friendly if
the enterprise actually wanted to enable VoIP -- the "protected cone"
NAT is reasonably secure, and the deployment would be much easier than
trying to pile up layers upon layers of relays and gateways.

-- Christian Huitema

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 20:05:09 -0500

Please do not use this mailing list, or other IETF mailing lists, for
marketing purposes, especially when hawking proprietary solutions as an
alternative to IETF standards.

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.
(Transport Area co-Director)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: john Holdsworth [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 2:13 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [midcom] RE: midcom digest, Vol 1 #688 - 1 msg
> 
[snip]
> 
> We are producing a signalling and media proxy which avoids this issue by
> focussing all the traffic through it. This also provides a place to
enforce
> quality, charge and perform legal intercept.
> 
> Also if the phone transmits and receives media on the same port, we can
> avoid the need to alter the corporate NAT/Firewall at all and offer public
> service. This technique also offers enhanced security as well. We call
this
> Automatic Channel Mapping.
> 
> Please down load the "Solving the Firewall and NAT Traversal Issues for
> Multimedia over IP Services" White paper from our website
[snip]