Subject: [midcom] Clarification on RowStatus and Agent Capabilities

From: "Kurapati, mahesh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 04:34:51 -0400

Hi all, 

I am new to this group.  Please direct me, if this is not the right forum to
be asked. 

My question is regarding instrumentation of read-create objects, RowStatus
and Agent Capabilities. 

Say a table has two columnar objects c1, c2 with read-create access in
addition to a ROWSTATUS object r1. 

1.  Should a row be created when a set request is received on one of the
columnar object (c1.<new instance>) with a non existing instance?  If a row
is created, what shall be the value of RowStatus object? 

2.  Can the RowStatus be partially implemented?  In the sense, for one of
the table that we designed it does not make sense to have all the RowStatus
values supported?  In such scenarios, can we implement this object
partially?  

3.  Can we change the AGENT-CAPABILITIES section in a standard MIB, if we
take deviations from the standard definitions? 

Please clarify me, 

Thanks and Regards
Mahesh

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 06:43:24 -0700

>>>>> On Mon, 12 May 2003 04:34:51 -0400, "Kurapati, mahesh" <[email-masked]> said:

mahesh> 1.  Should a row be created when a set request is received on
mahesh> one of the columnar object (c1.<new instance>) with a non
mahesh> existing instance?  If a row is created, what shall be the
mahesh> value of RowStatus object?

That is up to the MIB designer.  You can document the behavior you
want in the DESCRIPTION clause of the RowStatus column.  Some
RowStatus columns state that the RowStatus column MUST be set, others
stay that rows can be created without using the RowStatus column.  If
done without, it should be equivalent to a "createAndGo".

MAHESH> 2.  Can the RowStatus be partially implemented?  In the sense,
MAHESH> for one of the table that we designed it does not make sense
MAHESH> to have all the RowStatus values supported?  In such
MAHESH> scenarios, can we implement this object partially?

One of the common things to do these days is to not require the use of
createAndWait.  Thus, in the IPSEC-POLICY-MIB we recently wrote:

        OBJECT      ipspAutoIkeRowStatus
        SYNTAX      RowStatus {
                active(1), createAndGo(4), destroy(6)
        }
        DESCRIPTION
            "Support of the values notInService(2), notReady(3),
             and createAndWait(5) is not required."

mahesh> 3.  Can we change the AGENT-CAPABILITIES section in a standard
mahesh> MIB, if we take deviations from the standard definitions?

Not sure what the question is...

mahesh> Please clarify me, 

mahesh> Thanks and Regards
mahesh> Mahesh

mahesh> _______________________________________________
mahesh> midcom mailing list
mahesh> [email-masked]
mahesh> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Network Associates Laboratories
_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom