Subject: [midcom] On STUN

From: "Ines Feki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 10:57:05 +0200

Hello,

I have some questions about STUN :

I would like to know why and how STUN does not adress outgoing communications as mentionned in the Section 14.1 of the RFC.

Once the client knows its public adress returned by the STUN Server, can it use it to send UDP communications ?
Am I right or wrong ?

Can somebody explain me 
Many thanks and
Best regards,

_______________________________________________________________________
Ines Feki

Trainee                                                                  Phone : Office +33 (0) 2 31 75 91 86 
France Telecom R&D                    
42, Rue des Coutures   
14066 Caen FRANCE              
www.francetelecom.com
_______________________________________________________________________

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 13:49:30 -0400

Ines Feki wrote:
> I would like to know why and how STUN does not adress outgoing 
> communications as mentionned in the Section 14.1 of the RFC.

STUN doesnt control NATs, so it can't guarantee any kind of behavior 
from them, in terms of sending addresses. See below though...

> it use it to send UDP communications ?

Yes, a client can send packets from the same socket it used to talk to 
the STUn server. Depending on the type of NAT, the packets on the 
public side of the NAT may have the same source IP/port as returned by 
STUN.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Scientist                             Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom