Subject: [midcom] UPnP and routing updates for SIPPING and MIDCOM I-Ds

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 17:34:40 -0600

There is quite a bit of excellent work reflected in all the SIPPING and
MIDCOM I-Ds on NAT and Firewall traversal and some solutions, such as
STUN and TURN.

I believe we need however also updated versions of this work by
enlarging the focus with some other aspects. Here are two examples that
come to my mind, there may be other:

UPnP

Commercial UPnP residential gateways allow UPnP enabled SIP UA to
function well, examples are commercial  wired NAT/FWs and wireless
access points working with some well known softphone clients and SIP
phones. Please see for reference:

http://upnp.org/resources/whitepapers.asp 

After experiencing the true "plug-and-play" nature of the UPnP solution,
I happen to believe it is also a valid enterprise approach as well and
the I-Ds should consider such an enterprise scenario for outsourced and
enterprise services. UPnP gateways have a wider application area since
they will also support collaboration applications that may not be SIP
based, appliances, etc. Along this rationale SIP phones MUST support
UPnP, I believe, see
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sinnreich-sipdev-req-00.txt .
Some SIP phones already support UPnP.

Both the MIDCOM and Sipping WGs need to come to grips with the reality
of the excellent work done by the UPnP people and document it in an
informational RFC IMHO. Is the architecture as IP-centric and good as it
seems? Are there any issues, such as scalability or security? It appears
UPnP has solved much of the MIDCOM problem space.

Ignoring UPnP by the IETF is not a good option.

Routing 

Solutions in most recent I-D have a single NAT/FW - this often an
unacceptable single point of failure. The drafts need to show solutions
with multiple NAT/FW locations and the routing implications, since all
internal routers need to be aware of the NAT/FWs at the edge of the
enterprise network.

Should this be reflected in updates to the charter of the SIPPING and
MIDCOM WGs as well?

What do you think?

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
WorldCom
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
USA

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom