Subject: [midcom] new draft submission (stun aware nat)

From: Adina Simu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:46:10 -0700

Hi,

A new draft has been submitted:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-simu-midcom-stun-aware-nat-00.txt

and the abstract reads:

STUN provides an easy way to traverse some types of NATs and it will
work satisfactorily in many NAT deployments.  To overcome STUN's
limitations, one solution is to accept the idea that NATs can change too
(and they've been proven to change, an example being the proliferation
of IPsec pass-thru NAT devices) and to colocate STUN server
functionality on the NAT box itself. Upon receipt of a STUN request, the
server colocated within the NAT device allocates addresses and ports,
and installs bindings.  This allows hosts running the STUN client
software to transparently achieve symmetric NAT traversal and to make
themselves addressable from the Global Internet.

Comments and criticism welcome.

thanks
-Adina

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom