Subject: Re: more on reclaiming 225/8

From: Hugh LaMaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 11:34:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Randy Bush wrote:

> seems to me that it would be more productive to work on dynamic address
> protocols, than how to rationalize keeping space from the last experiment.
> if y'all had a good experiment, then getting address space for it would be
> easy.

I agree.  I think that the canonical approach is indicated here --
close out the previous experiment, request a new allocation
for the current work.  I doubt that the request would be denied,
but, IANA might choose to allocate a different block just to keep
things neat and tidy - 231/8, say.

--
 Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21,    Email: [email-masked]
 NASA Ames Research Center     Or:    [email-masked]
 Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000  Or:    [email-masked]
 Phone: 650/604-1056           Disc:  Unofficial, personal *opinion*.

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin C. Almeroth)
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 12:18:03 -0700 (PDT)

>>On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, David Meyer wrote:
>>
>>>         SUMMARY: I am proposing to the MALLOC WG that the 225/8
>>>                  be returned to the IANA, and that a new assignment
>>>                  be requested though standard IANA channels for
>>>                  whatever experiment is next.  
>>
>>I concur with David Meyer's proposal.

I do as well.

-Kevin

---

From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 13:38:11 -0700

Hugh asks:
> I did look around a little bit over the weekend.  I found a little bit
> of alpha-release stuff.  Maybe I missed the more fully developed
stuff.
> Is there a website or repository with code or pointers to code for
> the RFC 2771 API conformant libraries and server daemons?  

I'm not aware of a web site that has such information, but I'd be
willing to add it on the malloc web site if people want, and people send
me information.

Speaking on behalf of one specific platform vendor, Windows 2000 and XP
have RFC 2771 API conformant libraries and server daemons.
I'll let others respond for other platforms.

> Have any
> of the common (ie Mbone) tools (e.g. vic, vat, rat) been ported
> to use these libraries/facilities?  How about COTS software?  Sorry
> if these are uninformed questions; I'm very out of date on what has
> been happening and would like to get up to speed.

I can't speak on behalf of the tools that you mention (although it would
make more sense for sdr to use them, not vic/vat/etc which don't
allocate addresses), but Windows 2000 and XP do have tools that use
these libraries/facilities.

-Dave