Subject: MASC draft updated

From: Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:43:30 -0700

I have just submitted an updated version of the MASC draft. Before
it appears in the I-D repository, you can get a copy of it from:

http://netweb.usc.edu/masc/draft-ietf-malloc-masc-06.txt

The changes are:

 * [NAME-OF-CONSTANTS] changed to [NAME_OF_CONSTANTS]
 * The 2-bit Relation field values are defined as 00, 01, 10, 11
   instead of 0--3.
 * The text explicitly specifies that the Reserved fields MUST be
   set to zero, and MUST be ignored by the receiver.
 * The recommended value for "Hold Time" (in the OPEN messages) is
   explicitly specified to be [HOLDTIME]
 * Removed the "Authentication Information" optional parameter
   specification for the OPEN messages. Hence, now the document
   specifies only the format of the optional parameters, but
   does not define any particular parameters.
 * Added "Optional Parameters" field to the UPDATE message format.
   This Optional Parameter format is same as the Optional Parameter
   format of the OPEN message. No optional parameters are defined.
 * Explicitly specify that
   "Unrecognized optional parameters MUST be silently ignored."
   (for both OPEN and UPDATE messages).
 * Better explanation of O-bit usage. Also, O-bit terminology
   cleanup: now the "O-bit" is "zeroed" instead of "reset".
 * Removed "Unsupported Optional Parameter" and "Authentication
   Failure" OPEN message error subcodes (used by the NOTIFICATION
   messages).
 * "Security Consideration" section clean-up. Now the text refers
   to IPsec as the security mechanism that can be used between
   peers. Also, it explicitly recommends that each MASC node should
   allow peering only with trustworthy nodes (otherwise malicious 
   UPDATEs may be injected that may disturb the normal operation of
   other MASC nodes).
  * Minor reformatting and cleanup; two new references added.

Thanks,
Pavlin