Subject: [lisp] Organization Internal LCAF (was Re: Request for private LCAF allocation)

From: Alberto Rodriguez-Natal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 22:03:41 -0700

Hi all,

After gathering feedback from group at the IETF, the private LCAF type has
evolved into a Organization Internal LCAF. Special kudos to Joel and Dino
for their feedback.

Basically an IEEE OUI index [1] is appended to the LCAF so any possible
collision on the private usage is contained within a given organization.
Please, see the proposed format at the end of this mail and send any
comment you may have.

Still not sure about the process for the IANA allocation of the new LCAF.
Let me know if this mail suffices or a draft is required.

Thanks,
Alberto

[1] http://standards-oui.ieee.org/oui.txt

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |           AFI = 16387         |     Rsvd1     |     Flags     |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |   Type = xxx  |     Rsvd2     |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |      Rsvd3    |       Organizationally Unique Identifier      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

---

From: Joel Halpern Direct <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 09:44:05 -0400

A specification is required in order to allocate a code point.  Usually 
that means an RFC, of any type (IETF or independent Stream, standards 
track, informational, or experimental.)
Yours,
Joel

On 4/12/17 1:03 AM, Alberto Rodriguez-Natal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After gathering feedback from group at the IETF, the private LCAF type
> has evolved into a Organization Internal LCAF. Special kudos to Joel and
> Dino for their feedback.
>
> Still not sure about the process for the IANA allocation of the new
> LCAF. Let me know if this mail suffices or a draft is required.
>
> Thanks,
> Alberto
>

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 10:25:39 -0700

And with the document you write to propose this, please request LCAF Type codepoint of 255. Thanks.

Dino

> On Apr 11, 2017, at 10:03 PM, Alberto Rodriguez-Natal <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> After gathering feedback from group at the IETF, the private LCAF type has evolved into a Organization Internal LCAF. Special kudos to Joel and Dino for their feedback.
> 
> Basically an IEEE OUI index [1] is appended to the LCAF so any possible collision on the private usage is contained within a given organization. Please, see the proposed format at the end of this mail and send any comment you may have.
> 
> Still not sure about the process for the IANA allocation of the new LCAF. Let me know if this mail suffices or a draft is required. 
> 
> Thanks,
> Alberto
>