Subject: [lisp] Document Action: 'LISP Shared Extension Message & IANA Registry for LISP Packet Type Allocations' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-lisp-type-iana-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 11:04:47 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'LISP Shared Extension Message & IANA Registry for LISP Packet Type
   Allocations'
  (draft-ietf-lisp-type-iana-06.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-type-iana/

Technical Summary

 The document proposes to create two new registries, namely the
"LISP Packet Types" and the "LISP Experimental Message Sub-Type".
In the LISP architecture, there are control messages that are identified
via a 4-bit "Type" field. While all of these messages are defined in
RFC6830 (the base LISP specifications), no formal request to IANA
to create a registry can be found in that document. This document
fixes the issue by formally asking the creation of such registry.
Additionally, the document suggests to reserve one of these "Type"
values for experimental messages, that can be further identified
through an additional 12-bit "Sub-Type" field.
      
Working Group Summary

The document has been welcomed and supported by the WG.
Furthermore, the additional need to reserve one type for
experimental use, with a sub-type extension, has been also
supported by the WG.
 
Document Quality

There are several independent and inter-operable implementations
already using the requested initial content of the  "LISP
Packet Types" registry. The "LISP Experimental Message Sub-Type"
registry is provided for future use, but a few individual submissions
already propose their use. Furthermore, LISPLab implementation
(http://www.lisp-lab.org/) uses the new Experimental message to
implement new LISP control messages.
 
Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Luigi Iannone <[email-masked]>
   Who is the Responsible Area Director? Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>