Subject: Re: [Ledger] AGENDA - Community Call - 22 February - 3pm UTC

From: David Nicol <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 11:26:26 -0600

In my opinion:

   1. you want integers not floating point.
   2. And that integer should be 10,000 x the smallest unit the currency
   supports. So USD transactions should be, at packet level, denominated as
   millionths of dollars, and BTC transactions should be, at packet level,
   denominated as ten-thousandths of satoshis.
   3. As this is a "binary only" wire format, the amounts should be 64 bit
   integers in "network byte order" a/k/a big-endian a/k/a most significant
   byte first. I don't know if negative amounts are supported or not, if they
   are a decision needs to be recorded about format for negative numbers. I
   think they shouldn't be allowed at all but don't know if that's how it is.
   4. The above gives a maximum packet value of around sixteen trillion
   dollars, enough to express repayment of the US National debt with one
   packet (okay, no more coffee for me for a while)

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Adrian Hope-Bailie <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>
> *AGENDA*
> 3. ILP Packet format (binary only)
>
> 4. Amounts in ILP Packet. Do we use Base2 (Floating Point) or Base10
> (Decimal)
>