Subject: [Jsonpath] Firing up the jsonpath working group

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 16:05:37 -0700

Hello! I'm Tim Bray; your co-chairs are James Gruessing and me. This is
from both of us.

We’ll be virtually meeting Nov. 16th at this time:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=JSONPath+WG+IETF+109+Session&iso=20201116T16&p1=28&ah=2

This will be inconvenient for quite a lot of us, but just fine for our
Asian colleagues who normally are the ones struggling out of bed in the
middle of the night.

Fairly-urgent action item: Agenda.  We need to have our draft agenda
submitted next Wednesday and finalized on the ninth.  Please post any items
to this mailing list.

Work is proceeding to get us a GitHub repo where draft specs and related
material can be posted and diffed and PR'ed.

I’d like to offer a reading list that I think people should glance over to
get themselves equipped to participate in this work.

   1. Our charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-jsonpath/
   2. Stefan Gössner's original "XPath for JSON" write-up that is the only
   existing spec of any kind: https://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/
   3. An Internet-Draft from Stefan and Carsten Bormann which IETF-izes
   Stefan's original draft and is designed to launch this discussion:
   https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-goessner-dispatch-jsonpath-00.html
   4. Another Internet-draft style document from Normington, Surov,
   and Mikulicic, with the goal of specifying JSONPath:
   https://jsonpath-standard.github.io/internet-draft/
   5. "JSONPath Comparison", a comparison by Christoph Burgmer of many
   different JSONPath implementations and how they handle various JSONPath
   idioms: https://cburgmer.github.io/json-path-comparison/ - fabulous work!
   6. In case that document looks way too big and intimidating, an example
   of one of its detail pages: Bracket notation with dot:
   https://cburgmer.github.io/json-path-comparison/results/bracket_notation_with_dot.html
   7. For those of you who are new-ish to the IETF, an excellent write-up
   of how things work: https://www.ietf.org/about/participate/tao
   8. Mark Pilgrim's classic "Why specs matter":
   https://web.archive.org/web/20051016203842/http://diveintomark.org/archives/2004/08/16/specs
-
   it's short, to the point, and explains why good specifications need to be
   full of illustrative examples.