Subject: Re: [Json] jsonbis - Not having a session at IETF 100

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 16:39:40 +0100

On 2017-09-29 15:05, IETF Meeting Session Request Tool wrote:
> 
> 
> Alexey Melnikov, a chair of the jsonbis working group, indicated that the jsonbis working group does not plan to hold a session at IETF 100.
> 
> This message was generated and sent by the IETF Meeting Session Request Tool.
> ...

...but can we have an update about what's going on with 
draft-ietf-jsonbis-rfc7159bis nevertheless?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 15:43:34 +0000

On 08/11/2017 15:39, Julian Reschke wrote:

>> Alexey Melnikov, a chair of the jsonbis working group, indicated that 
>> the jsonbis working group does not plan to hold a session at IETF 100.
>>

We are waiting for ECMA to publish their document in early December.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 17:09:59 +0100

> We are waiting for ECMA to publish their document in early December.

Aha, thanks.

Is there way to preview what they intend to publish?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 14:40:25 +0000

> Is there way to preview what they intend to publish?

I've seen a copy of the to-be-published document, but I am not sure if
it would be Ok to distribute it publicly.

---

From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 07:07:22 -0800

On 11/09/2017 06:40 AM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> json mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/json
So what is the process for publishing the final version of the IETF document
then? If there isn't a chance for us to look at the ECMA document beforehand
then how can we check that it is suitable to be a normative reference?

peter

---

From: "Matthew A. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 12:14:51 +0800

> then how can we check that it is suitable to be a normative reference?

The AD and chair have reviewed the upcoming revision to ECMA-404, and
find their changes meet with expectations.

We ask that you trust us to work with Ecma to act in everyone's best
interests.

Thank you,

-  JSONbis Chair & Responsible AD

---

From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 04:12:09 -0800

> -  JSONbis Chair & Responsible AD

Standards processes are indeed built on trust.  I trust the editor of a
standards document to do a faithful job in keeping the document in tune with
the desires of the group writing the standard.  However, I get a chance to
verify my trust by being able to see and comment on the document before it
becomes a standard.

I trust you to try to get the new ECMA document in what you think is a
suitable shape and I trust you to try to keep what you think is suitable
aligned with what the group here has said would be suitable.  But if I don't
get a chance to see that normative document before the IETF document becomes
final, then I cannot provide the informed assent to its publication that is
needed as part of any reasonable standards effort.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Nuance Communications