Subject: Re: [Ietf-and-github] BOF or other things to do?

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 15:04:10 +0200

Hi again,

I’m trying to understand what useful thing we could do, and
if there’d be volunteers to do it.

Assuming we had a meeting, I gather the agenda would look like
working groups 1, 2, … presenting their way of working with GitHub
for information to the participants in the room. And some discussion
of the issues and opportunities… correct? Would I be correct in
assuming there’d be no discussion of trying to find one common
way, or about writing permanent RFCs?

Would such a meeting be preferred during the normal WG
meeting hours or Sunday/evening/lunch slot?

And if we did the above, who would the persons be who’d speak
about their WG experiences, and can I get a show of hands for
people who would actually commit to talking about their
WGs and experiences?

Jari

---

From: "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 07:49:32 -0800

> way, or about writing permanent RFCs?

I certainly hope so for "my WG's way of doing things" and certainly hope 
not for "finding one common way".

I also hope that there is discussion of how to capture GitHub activity 
in the WG mailing lists for people who later want to see how decisions 
were made.

I also hope that we get at least a few people who can say "my WG uses 
GitHub this way and I find these particular things difficult" so that we 
can discuss how to make some specific GitHubisms easier.

> meeting hours or Sunday/evening/lunch slot?

I proposed an actual BoF (during normal WG meeting hours) instead of a 
bar BoF to make it easier for the most people to attend.

> people who would actually commit to talking about their

In the draft, Lars added a bunch of text about QUIC, and Carsten added a 
bunch of text about CoRE. We might get folks from HTTPbis and TLS, who 
have both been quite wedded to the tooling. I can talk a bit about using 
GitHub for one document (draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis) in a WG that 
has not used GitHub much before this and generally dislikes tooling of 
any sort.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 16:29:41 +0000

> I also hope that there is discussion of how to capture GitHub activity in the
> WG mailing lists for people who later want to see how decisions were made.

Having written a few GH hooks recently, I can see how it would be reasonable to automate this at the IETF hosts, for example.

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 17:29:24 -0800

I just wanted to update people on where my head is today wrt this
topic.

Tomorrow the IESG (and IAB) have to decide what to do with various
BOF proposals.

Honestly I’m a bit on the fence about what to do here.

I’m leaning on approving a 1 hour slot and expecting that we can recruit
some of the key people to give an overview of what they’re doing in
their WGs. And getting that document written. I’m also
leaning on focusing the session more on letting the github people
learn from each other more than target this as a general purpose
education session.

There would have been other alternatives too, like a Sunday session
(but attendance may be difficult for some), or bar (but I think this is a
topic that we should get to discuss in the IETF properly).

Thoughts?

Jari