Subject: [hackathon] DNS root key rollover testing: RFC 5011 test suite

From: Petr Špaček <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:10:58 +0200

Hello DNS hackers,

DNS root key rollover is planned for October 11th 2017 so it might be a
good idea to test our software.

During this hackaton I will act as champion for RFC 5011 compliance
testing project.

The plan is to use tool Deckard [1] to develop lighting fast tests for
RFC 5011 roll-overs. We will end up with set of reusable tests which
mock DNS answers from our fake Internet and system time.

This ultimatelly allows us to test various programs in isolated network,
e.g. a part of Continuous Integration systems.

Deckard is based on libfaketime so we should be able to jump in time and
simulate full RFC 5011 cycle in couple of seconds instead of months.

Tests we develop should be reusable for any DNS software running on
Linux (or possibly other systems if they support LD_PRELOAD mechanism).

I'm preparing materials so we have something to start with.
Let me know if you are interested!

[1] https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/knot/deckard/blob/master/README.rst

-- 
Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC

---

From: Petr Špaček <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 08:29:15 +0200

Good morning,

RFC 5011 testing project is ready for participants @ hackaton today,
look for the table with flipchart saying 'DNS corner'.

To motivate you, we already have some code to start with!

It is available from CZ.NIC's Gitlab branch rfc5011 [1],
most importantly in test scenario file 5011.rpl [2].

[1] https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/knot/deckard/commits/rfc5011
[2] https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/knot/deckard/blob/rfc5011/5011/5011.rpl

See you!
Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC