Subject: [hackathon] Group EAP-NOOB at Hackathon 96.

From: "raghavendra M.S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 16:32:25 +0300

Hi folks,

Along with some colleagues, we would be working on secure IoT bootstrapping
during the hackathon starting tomorrow. In particular, we will be
implementing the draft https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aura-eap-noob-01.

The draft defines an EAP method where the authentication is based on
user-assisted out-of-band (OOB) channel between the server and peer. It is
intended as a generic bootstrapping solution for
Internet-of-Things devices which have no preconfigured authentication
credentials and which are not yet registered on any authentication server.
Consider devices you just bought or borrowed.

The EAP-NOOB method is more generic than most ad-hoc bootstrapping
solutions . In that it supports many types of OOB channels. We specify the
exact in-band messages but only the OOB message contents and not the OOB
channel details. Also, EAP-NOOB supports ubicomp devices with only output
(e.g. display) or only input (e.g. camera).

 We will be using existing open source components such as hostapd (
https://w1.fi/hostapd/) and wpa_supplicant (https://w1.fi/wpa_supplicant/)
and protocols such as EAP/RADIUS. We will mostly use C for programming, but
also some HTML, Javascript and Python for the other components.

 We have made some progress with the implementation, and would be happy to
have many of you on the team. You are welcome to help with the code, or
help us improve some protocol components, or try out the demo to find what
can be improved.

Thanks
Raghvendra