Subject: [hackathon] DHCP4o6 implementation plan

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:32:57 +0100

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share some details regarding our plans for
DHCPv4-over-DHCPv6 (or DHCP4o6) implementation. If you never heard about
it, it's a neat way to provision IPv4 nodes in IPv6-only network. For
details, see RFC7341.

The code base chosen is Kea, an new open source DHCP implementation from
ISC. More info about the project (including pointers to the git repo
with sources): http://kea.isc.org

We did a design of the 4o6 solution. The design is not 100% complete,
but it's good enough to go ahead with the implementation:
http://kea.isc.org/wiki/Dhcp4o6Design

If you're interested, we also have the requirements codified:
http://kea.isc.org/wiki/Dhcp4o6Requirements

Finally, Francis Dupont did a prototype implementation and put some
comments here: http://kea.isc.org/wiki/DHCP4o6-Use

If you're interested in joining this effort, we'd be more than happy to
have you. See you in Yokohama!

Tomek Mrugalski
Kea lead developer

---

From: 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 09:54:19 -0700

At Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:32:57 +0100,

> it, it's a neat way to provision IPv4 nodes in IPv6-only network. For
[...]
> have you. See you in Yokohama!

I plan to join it with my own quick-hack client (ISC-dhclient + WIDE
DHCPv6) for interoperability testing.  I'm also happy to hack KEA on
site.

--
JINMEI, Tatuya

---

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 08:40:23 +0100

On 28/10/15 17:54, 神明達哉 wrote:
> DHCPv6) for interoperability testing.  
Excellent! I know that Francis was working on similar ISC dhclient(v4)
over dhclient(v6). It will be very interesting to compare how both of
you solved the v4-v6 connectivity. I'm wondering if there are lessons
learned in this area that could be applied to the server side
implementation we'll be working on. Let's discuss this on site.

> I'm also happy to hack KEA on site.
Another excellent news! The more the merrier.

Linhui Sun and Leonar Castro expressed interest in this topic. With
Jinmei, Francis, Marcin and myself, that's half a dozen already. That's
great. We should get 4o6 up and running in no time.

See you all in Yokohama.
Tomek