Subject: [Fecframe] Last Call: <draft-ietf-fecframe-simple-rs-04.txt> (Simple Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction (FEC) Scheme for FECFRAME) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 07:11:29 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the FEC Framework WG (fecframe) to
consider the following document:
- 'Simple Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction (FEC) Scheme for
FECFRAME'
  <draft-ietf-fecframe-simple-rs-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-10-22. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a fully-specified simple FEC scheme for Reed-
   Solomon codes over GF(2^^m), with 2 <= m <= 16, that can be used to
   protect arbitrary media streams along the lines defined by the
   FECFRAME framework.  Reed-Solomon codes belong to the class of
   Maximum Distance Separable (MDS) codes which means they offer optimal
   protection against packet erasures.  They are also systematic codes,
   which means that the source symbols are part of the encoding symbols.
   The price to pay is a limit on the maximum source block size, on the
   maximum number of encoding symbols, and a computational complexity
   higher than that of LDPC codes for instance.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-fecframe-simple-rs/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-fecframe-simple-rs/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.