Subject: [Fecframe] RFC 6683 on Guidelines for Implementing Digital Video Broadcasting - IPTV (DVB-IPTV) Application-Layer Hybrid Forward Error Correction (FEC) Protection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 09:26:37 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6683

        Title:      Guidelines for Implementing Digital Video 
                    Broadcasting - IPTV (DVB-IPTV) Application-Layer 
                    Hybrid Forward Error Correction (FEC) Protection 
        Author:     A. Begen, T. Stockhammer
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 22726
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6683.txt

Annex E of the Digital Video Broadcasting - IPTV (DVB-IPTV) technical
specification defines an optional Application-Layer Forward Error
Correction (AL-FEC) protocol to protect the streaming media
transported using RTP.  The DVB-IPTV AL-FEC protocol uses two layers
for FEC protection.  The first (base) layer is based on the 1-D
interleaved parity code.  The second (enhancement) layer is based on
the Raptor code.  By offering a layered approach, the DVB-IPTV AL-FEC
protocol offers good protection against both bursty and random packet
losses at a cost of decent complexity.  This document describes how
one can implement the DVB-IPTV AL-FEC protocol by using the 1-D
interleaved parity code and Raptor code that have already been
specified in separate documents.  This document is not an Internet 
Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the FEC Framework Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC