Subject: [Enum] Who said ENUM was dead?

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:27:18 -0400

Kari Hiatt-Moran | Communications Coordinator

CableLabs | 858 Coal Creek Circle, Louisville, CO 80027

303.661.3789 (office) | 303.664.8137 (fax) |  <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]

Contact:

[email-masked]

303-661-9100

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CableLabs® Launches Cable’s PeerConnect™ Registry for IP Communications 

Louisville, Colorado, September 29, 2011 – CableLabs® today unveiled the
PeerConnect™ registry, a cable operator service to facilitate end-to-end IP
communications.  

The PeerConnect registry connects cable operators and their partners so they
can exchange the data necessary to establish voice and video calls, SMS
messages and other forms of IP communications between their respective
networks.

“The PeerConnect registry allows Comcast to move telephone number
translation services inside the IP domain,” said Phil Miller, Vice
President, Strategic Partnership Development, Comcast Communications and
Data services. “It provides a scalable solution for us to dynamically
distribute numbers and other IP voice session routing data to select
partners.” 

“Cablevision has been using the PeerConnect registration services for some
time with great success to disseminate IP session routing information to
peers. It is a scalable solution for managing peering relationships and it
is built on open standards to advertise session routing data to various
valued-added service companies,” said Wayne Thompson, Vice President,
Telecom and Internet Management at Cablevision Systems Corp. 

“This initiative provides each operator an independent and secure way of
managing its data distribution to enable dynamic peering relationships with
cable and non-cable operator companies. In Canada, Shaw is leveraging the
registry resolution service as a number translation service,” said Peter
Bissonnette, President of Shaw Communications Inc. 

The registry service also allows CableLabs member companies deploying mobile
wireless services to distribute the wireless numbers they serve to a variety
of SMS-MMS service providers.

“The PeerConnect registry is part of the SMS-MMS service platform Cox
Wireless TMI has been leveraging with great success for its mobile rollout”
said R.K. Gopinath, Director, Wireless Product Development & Management at
Cox Communications.

Secure and Distributed Service Platform
CableLabs has built the PeerConnect registry service working with its member
companies and a vendor ecosystem to simply enable a secure, distributed
service platform for the provisioning and distribution of session related
data for SMS-MMS and Voice over IP communications. Endorsed by several large
and small cable operators in the United States and Canada, the PeerConnect
registry has been in production since 2009. 

“We have designed this service to accelerate the adoption of end-to-end IP
communications and open up the possibilities for new real-time communication
services” said Jean-François Mulé, CableLabs’ SVP of Technology Development
and the PeerConnect program director since its inception. “We solved many
parts of the dynamic and distributed provisioning issues by implementing Web
Services and adopting an open protocol framework for data provisioning,
resolution and replication working with numerous actors in the Internet
Engineering Task Force (IETF) to agree on common standards,” he said. 

The PeerConnect registry includes three main service elements: 

·       A registration service allowing cable operators to dynamically
provision various service data elements

·       A resolution service element for cable operators and their peering
partners to perform number translation and routing queries to the registry
using the IETF SIP and ENUM protocols

·       A replication element to dynamically distribute session routing data
for SMS-MMS and VoIP to select partner companies

More information about the PeerConnect registry and how to participate is
available at http://www.cablelabs.com/peerconnect or
http://www.peerconnect.com.

About CableLabs: Founded in 1988 by members of the cable television
industry, Cable Television Laboratories is a non-profit research and
development consortium that is dedicated to pursuing new cable
telecommunications technologies and to helping its cable operator members
integrate those advancements into their business objectives. Cable operators
from around the world are members. CableLabs maintains additional web sites
at  <http://www.cablenet.org> www.cablenet.org,  <http://www.ebif.tv>
www.ebif.tv and  <http://www.tru2way.com> www.tru2way.com.

Advanced Digital Cable™, CableCARD™, CableHome®, CableLabs®, CableNET®,
CablePC™, DCAS™, DPoE™, DOCSIS®, EBIF™, Go2BroadbandSM, M-Card™, OpenCable™,
PacketCable™, PeerConnect™, and tru2way® are marks of Cable Television
Laboratories, Inc.

 

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting
Chairman of the Board of Directors SIP Forum
PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683
< <mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> mailto:richard(at)shockey.us>
skype-linkedin-facebook: rshockey101
http//www.sipforum.org