Subject: [Enum] FW: I-D Action:draft-hoeneisen-e164-to-metadata-00.txt

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:39:50 -0400

Bernie ..what do you want to do with this?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 2:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-hoeneisen-e164-to-metadata-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : E.164 to Metadata (E2M) Dynamic Delegation
Discovery System (DDDS) Application
	Author(s)       : B. Hoeneisen
	Filename        : draft-hoeneisen-e164-to-metadata-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2009-10-12

This document proposes a new Dynamic Delegation Discovery System
(DDDS) Application to map E.164 numbers to metadata.

It discusses the use of the Domain Name System (DNS) for resolving
E.164 numbers into metadata to provide information about E.164 numbers in
cases where E.164 Number to URI Mapping (ENUM) can not be used.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoeneisen-e164-to-metadata-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:55:52 -0400

Co-Chair hat off.

For what it's worth I'm all for it. It would certainly solve a lot of
problems I've had with the solution for CNAM. It would be trivial and
extremely easy to implement for any number of PSTN parameters that are not
functionally considered "routing data" that normally would be excluded from
tel: uri's. 

>  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
>  Of Richard Shockey
>  Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 2:40 PM
>  To: [email-masked]
>  Subject: [Enum] FW: I-D Action:draft-hoeneisen-e164-to-metadata-00.txt
>  
>  _______________________________________________
>  enum mailing list
>  [email-masked]
>  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:57:17 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Rich

As outlined in the Introduction section, the proposal in 
draft-hoeneisen-e164-to-metadata-00.txt intends provide a means to deblock 
some "problematic" Enumservices (e.g. cnam, unused/void) as well as to 
enable to creation of services, which would otherwise not be possible 
(within the ENUM framework), but are used in todays ENUM deployments.

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoeneisen-e164-to-metadata-00.txt

In short:
  "[...] resolving E.164 numbers into metadata to provide information
   about E.164 numbers in cases where [...] ENUM can not be used."

cheers,
  Bernie

PS: The ENUM WG list is used for discussion on this proposal, until
     it has a proper home.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:11:33 +0100

> functionally considered "routing data" that normally would be excluded 
from

I could certainly use it - it would be perfect for my Send-N draft.

Ray