Subject: [Enum] ENUM WG document status

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:19:19 -0400

Alex has kindly put together a list of document in the IESG queue and some
related issues.

If there are any comments here let us know.

IETF ENUM WG document status
============================

Alex Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>

Overview:
---------

basis for this report is 
http://datatracker.ietf.org/idtracker/?&search_filename=enum
 
and some background information gathered from various places and authors..

draft-ietf-enum-3761bis
-----------------------

current status: Waiting for AD Go-Ahead

Open issues:

There seems to be one misleading part in the text, that says:

   Delegations in the zone e164.arpa (not delegations in delegated
   domains of e164.arpa) should be done after Expert Review, and the
   IESG will appoint a designated expert.

IANA has a respective comment here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/idtracker/draft-ietf-enum-3761bis/comment/96731/

ToDo: Clarify IANA comment, probably create new revision solving that issue,

As ADs for progressing the document

draft-ietf-enum-enumservices-transition
---------------------------------------

Current status: Publication Requested

Open Issues: 

This draft has dependencies on the "calendar" ENUMservices (which are 
currently in AUTH48) - the "calendar" issue needs to be resolved before
this draft can progress.

ToDo: Clarify "calendar" issues, then modify that draft accordingly.

draft-ietf-enum-edns0
---------------------

Current status: Publication requested - Revised ID needed

Open Issues: ??

ToDO: ?? 

draft-ietf-enum-iax
-------------------

Current status: AD Evaluation - External Party

Open Issues: There is a web link to the IANA URI scheme registration site
in the draft, and that was commented on in the Gen-ART review. Full 
comment is here:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/gen-art/current/msg04160.html

ToDo: Address Gen-ART comment, resubmit draft.

draft-ietf-enum-unused
----------------------

Current status: AD Evaluation - revised ID needed 

Open Issues: The PROTO writeup for the draft is missing (comment from Cullen
Jennings).
The "revised ID needed" status exists since 2008 - As far as i remember this
was because
of concerns regarding the "application level interaction" with the
properties of 
DNS? 

ToDo: ?? 
draft-ietf-enum-cnam
--------------------

Current status: Waiting for Writeup - Revised ID needed 

Todo: ?? (Rich?) On my list ... 

draft-ietf-enum-enumservices-guide
----------------------------------

Current Status: Waiting for AD Go-Ahead

Open issues: There's a problem with the IETF's Expert Review Process in
general, 
and the Enumservices draft is the document that brought those problems up
:-/
Bernie has agreed with IANA (Michelle) to add a bit to the text that 
closes the loophole in the process. He will submit a new version, and that
will hopefully close that issue.

ToDo: Wait for new revision (-17)

draft-ietf-enum-calendar-service
--------------------------------

Current Status: RFC Editor (AUTH48)

Open Issues: Unfortunately, this draft was submitted to the RFC Editor
before 
work on the Enumservices document was finished - the Enumservice does not
fit
at all into the Scheme proposed there. There were several discussions
between
RFC Editors, authors of the draft, and authors of the Enumservices guide,
without reaching the "perfect solution".

ToDo: Find solution how to fit Enumservice into the scheme developed in 
Enumservice guide. 

Richard Shockey
PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us>
skype/AIM: rshockey101 
LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/rshockey101

---

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 22:54:29 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Rich

Thanks for the summary. My comments/updates inline.

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Richard Shockey wrote:

> general, and the Enumservices draft is the document that brought those 
> problems up :-/

That is unfortunately true....:-(

> ToDo: Wait for new revision (-17)

Update:
We could close all the open issues and published -17 three weeks ago. 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-enum-enumservices-guide-17

> before work on the Enumservices document was finished - the Enumservice 
> does not fit at all into the Scheme proposed there. There were several 
> discussions between RFC Editors, authors of the draft, and authors of 
> the Enumservices guide, without reaching the "perfect solution".
>

Update:
The issues have been closed and RFC 5333 is expected to be published 
within the next days.

cheers,
  Bernie