Subject: [Enum] Future outlook for ENUM WG

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 19:53:25 -0600

With the publication of the 3761bis, and the enum services guide, I  
view the key work of this WG pretty much done and hope to close the WG  
when the current things in the queue get approved. This does not mean  
I don't expect more ENUM registrations and extensions - I do expect  
many but we should have the expertise to handles these without a WG.  
The enum services guide is the key thing to both make it easier to  
create a registration and provide the advice to make sure that an we  
get it right and only require the resources of an good expert review  
instead of a whole WG.

This does lead to the topic of what about trunk groups. The key  
questions for me as an AD are:

1) are there people that have a need for the trunk groups in enum

2) are there solutions that are architecturally sane and not going to  
cause harm

3) is the approach in draft-malas-enum-trunk-sip the right one to use  
as starting point for the solution

4) where does the expertise exist to make sure the right people are  
involved with the discussions and review

Right now I don't know enough to be able to answer these but my  
current leaning is

1) probably yes

2) yes

3) probably yes - seems like bulk of folks prefer draft-malas to draft- 
ietf-enum-trunkgroup

4) If the answers to the above are yes, where to do the work is easy  
to figure out and no big deal. We will have a place to do the work. It  
is very unlikely it would be done as an enum WG document but I have no  
problem with having the discussion happening on enum list for now.

Cullen <RAI AD>