Subject: [Enum] RFC 5378 and submission of Internet-Drafts

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:51:05 +0100

IETF Chair Russ Housley has asked WG chairs to apprise their WGs of  
the following information.

If you've been following the IETF mailing list, you may be aware of  
the ongoing discussion about the impact of RFC 5378 on revised draft  
submissions.

This is a complicated subject, but the executive summary is that if  
you have an Internet-draft that quotes substantially from one or more  
older RFCs (ones with a publication date pre-November 11, 2008), and  
you did not write this earlier work yourself (or you wrote it while  
with another company), you need to be aware of the likely difficulty  
of obtaining RFC5378 clearances for your new work, and also to be  
aware that a work-around is on the way. The work-around should be in  
place to allow submissions to the San Francisco IETF well before the  
normal deadlines.

Please see the following URL for information from Ed Juskevicius,  
Chair of the IETF Trust:

<http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/Background-to-Draft-Update-to-IETF-Trust-Legal-Provisions.txt 

Please take any general discussion of RFC 5378 to [email-masked].

With a chair hat on, I am not going to allow a general discussion  
about RFC 5378 on this list (as it is off topic). Questions about  
specific WG drafts are of course on topic.

     Regards, Patrik

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum