Subject: [Enum] CNAM URI definition

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 12:50:37 +0000

Rich,

Looking at your -08 draft for CNAM, I see that the ABNF is much the same 
as before.

You may recall that back in March I previously suggested that the line:

  pstndatauri = "pstndata:" datatype [ "/" telephone-subscriber ] ";" 
content

be split apart to make extending the ABNF easier:

  pstndatauri = "pstndata:" pstndatatype
  pstndatatype = cnamdatatype
  cnamdatatype = "cnam" [ "/" telephone-subscriber ] ";" content

Any subsequent extension then just needs to use (for example):

  pstndatatype =/ unusedatatype
  unuseddatatype = "unused" ...

which cleanly adds this subtype without changing the top-level ABNF entity 
nor leaving anyone wondering whether _all_ pstndata URIs are supposed to 
include the telephone-subscriber or content fields.

At the time I believe you agreed this was sensible.  Can this still be 
fixed at this stage?

kind regards,

Ray

-- 
Ray Bellis, MA(Oxon)
Senior Researcher in Advanced Projects, Nominet
e: [email-masked], t: +44 1865 332211
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum