Subject: [Enum] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-enum-enumservice-sms-smpp-01.txt WGLC ????

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 13:29:03 -0400

In our desire to clean up the document queue... are we ready for WGLC on
this?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 5:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-enum-enumservice-sms-smpp-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Telephone Number Mapping Working Group of
the IETF.

	Title		: IANA Registrations of Enumservice 
"sms:smpp" and "smpp" URI
	Author(s)	: J. Yu
	Filename	: draft-ietf-enum-enumservice-sms-smpp-01.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2008-5-8
	
This document updates RFC 4355 by registering a new enumservice 
      subtype "smpp" under the existing type "sms" using the URI scheme 
      "smpp" as per the IANA registration process defined in RFC 3761 and 
      draft-ietf-enum-enumservices-guide-07 and registers a new URI scheme 
      "smpp" according to the URI registration procedure in RFC 4395. 
       
      This enumservice subtype indicates that the remote resource 
      identified by the URI can receive short messages using the Short 
      Message Peer-to-Peer Protocol (SMPP).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-enumservice-sms-smpp-01.
txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 10:55:48 +0200

> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-enum-enumservice-sms-smpp-01.txt

I understand the draft updates an existing registration, as stated in

      This document updates RFC 4355 [4] by registering a new enumservice 
      subtype "smpp" under the existing type "sms" using the URI scheme 
      "smpp" as per the IANA registration process defined in RFC 3761 [2] 
      and draft-ietf-enum-enumservices-guide-07 [12] and registers a new 
      URI scheme "smpp" according to the URI registration procedure in RFC 
      4395 [5]. 

but how can it refer to both Enumservice registration procedures at the
same time?  Isn't this an update that can wait until after approval of
the Enumservice guidelines or is a standards track document really intended?

My reading of the example in section 6 is that it actually contains the
specification for the "smpp:" URI resolution.  

The extra abbreviations section is uncommon for RFCs and since most of the
abbreviations are pretty well expanded in the text within proper context
(SRV=Service only makes sense if you have the RR type in mind), I'd doubt
its necessity.

-Peter