Subject: [Enum] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-timms-encrypt-naptr-01.txt

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:55:43 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 3:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-timms-encrypt-naptr-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: IANA Registration for Encrypted ENUM
	Author(s)	: B. Timms, J. Reid, J. Schlyter
	Filename	: draft-timms-encrypt-naptr-01.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2008-7-12
	
This document requests IANA registration of the "X-Crypto"
   Enumservice.  This Enumservice indicates that its NAPTR holds a
   Uniform Resource Identifier that carries encrypted content from the
   fields of another (unpublished) Protected NAPTR, for use in E.164
   Number Mapping (ENUM).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-timms-encrypt-naptr-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Duane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:34:32 +1000

Richard Shockey wrote:

This is a nice idea, but the proposal will only hide the reply, it won't
prevent information from leaking.

I actually used his previous draft as inspiration for a draft to encrypt
both requests and replies to prevent information leaking. I'm fixing up
the current draft as it is flawed in a number of ways (received feed
back from the dnsext working group) and I was hoping to have the new
draft up before posting about it to this list.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-groth-dns-encryption-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-groth-dns-encryption-01.pdf

-- 

Best regards,
 Duane

---

From: Duane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:05:25 +1000

> draft up before posting about it to this list.

The updated revision is now online:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-groth-dns-encryption-02.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-groth-dns-encryption-02.pdf

-- 

Best regards,
 Duane

---

From: Lawrence Conroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:07:50 +0100

Hi Folks,
  (channeling Jim who's out of email range):
This is a refresh of the original draft, with added examples, expanded  
security considerations and a few random textual clarifications. The  
basic concept is the same.

all the best,
   Lawrence

On 14 Jul 2008, at 20:55, Richard Shockey wrote:
> Content-Type: text/plain
> Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
>
> <ATT06410.txt>_______________________________________________
> enum mailing list
> [email-masked]

---

From: Eleanor McHugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:15:44 +0100

On 15 Jul 2008, at 03:34, Duane wrote:
> both requests and replies to prevent information leaking.

It's a very interesting draft and I hope it gains some traction.  
However it solves a fundamentally different problem to the X-Crypto  
service, which is purely concerned with using a DNS NAPTR as a private  
data store for ENUM-style services with key management infrastructure  
provided out of band.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

---

From: Duane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 04:58:19 +1000

Eleanor McHugh wrote:
> It's a very interesting draft and I hope it gains some traction. However
> it solves a fundamentally different problem to the X-Crypto service,
> which is purely concerned with using a DNS NAPTR as a private data store
> for ENUM-style services with key management infrastructure provided out
> of band.

I realise that, but my point was that it may not prevent information
from leaking and even the authors acknowledge that in the draft, which
is partly where the inspiration came from.

-- 

Best regards,
 Duane

---

From: Eleanor McHugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:34:55 +0100

On 15 Jul 2008, at 19:58, Duane wrote:
>> However

Which is why I hope it gains traction ;)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains

---

From: Duane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:55:11 +1000

> Which is why I hope it gains traction ;)

Well I've had some dismissive comments, but I've had some good technical
feed back too, something I didn't get until I submitted it into the
DNSEXT working group.

I'm following up on the suggestions and comments at present.

-- 

Best regards,
 Duane

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:15:47 -0400

Is this an agenda item??????

---

From: Lawrence Conroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:13:47 +0100

Hi Richard,
  Speaking on behalf of Jim (who's still out to lunch) ...
The draft describes what it does, how it does it, what is the use case
(& implicitly the trade-offs) and what the initial security issues that
have been considered.
The goal here is to share data with some but not others using the DNS,
but ->without requiring the whole of the Internet to change<-.
Thus it is quite different from some of the other drafts - it's scope
is *much* narrower and is firmly in ENUM space only.

I don't believe that Jim expected to have a slot on the agenda this  
time.
If you would like a quick summary on it in the meeting, then that's  
fine, but...
It would be good if people could read the draft first.

BTW, the encrypt-naptr scheme is in use already; this spec is intended
as Experimental (hence the 'x-').
The basic Enumservice registration should be fairly straightforward
- only question is how it fits with the new framework, and whether
or not it needs the X- process in place or not to go through the
IETF process.

all the best
  Lawrence