Subject: [Enum] Re: I-D Action:draft-hoeneisen-enum-x-service-regs-02.txt

From: Romek Szczesniak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:25:27 +0100

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

    Title           : Registration of Enumservices for experimental, 
private or trial use
    Author(s)       : B. Hoeneisen
    Filename        : draft-hoeneisen-enum-x-service-regs-02.txt
    Pages           : 8
    Date            : 2007-10-23

This document provides a guide to the creation of new IANA
registrations of experimental, private or trial ENUM (E.164 Number
Mapping) services.  It is also to be used for updates of those
experimental, private or trial Enumservice (X-Enumservice)
registrations.
---
Hello all,

Firstly, I must thank Bernie Hoeneisen on his work on the draft, 
draft-hoeneisen-enum-x-service-regs-02.txt. I haven't seen any 
discussion on it here so I thought I would.

Having tested various experimental services to see how they perform, I 
recommend the following with such service types.

Typically, we use E2U+X- services when:

(i) the defined service does not conform to the usage we require
e.g. IN NAPTR 100 115 "u" "E2U+x-im:msn" "!^.*$!msn:<my-msn-id>!" .

(ii) there is no defined service in the Enumservices list.
e.g. IN NAPTR 100 115 "u" "E2U+x-rss:http" 
"!^.*$!http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_topstories.rss!" .

(iii) when a client does not wish a service type to be evaluated by a 
standards-based ENUM clients.

I suggest that:

1. We specify that X- services SHOULD follow the same syntax as other 
registered services (so that ENUM clients do not break on receipt of 
such rules).

2. Provide a standardised mechanism for service types (if needed for 
public use) to be appended to the list of Enum service types after 
review. This review period should be at most about 6 months (to prevent 
all service types remaining as X- ).

3. Intended use for these is "EXPERIMENTAL".

Your thoughts appreciated.
Romek Szczesniak

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:59:31 -0400

Bernie I'll send a note to Internet Drafts that this is a WG document.

You might want to rename future versions.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-hoeneisen-enum-x-service-regs-02.txt 

This document provides a guide to the creation of new IANA registrations of
experimental, private or trial ENUM (E.164 Number
Mapping) services.  It is also to be used for updates of those experimental,
private or trial Enumservice (X-Enumservice) registrations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoeneisen-enum-x-service-regs-02.t
xt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in, type
"cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hoeneisen-enum-x-service-regs-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hoeneisen-enum-x-service-regs-02.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.