Subject: [Enum] NITS review of draft-ietf-enum-unused

From: Alexander Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 17:51:20 +0200

Hi,

i've done a review of draft-ietf-enum-unused-02 - my comments and
suggestions as follows:

- editorial: the automated idnits checker complains about the text of the
Terminology section, probably because it's missing the "RFC 2119" snippet
(reference is OK, though)

- editorial: Please expand "ENUM" in the Introduction, the expansion "du
jour" seems to be "E.164 Number Mapping"...

- editorial: more unexplained acronyms include "NAPTR", "URI", "DNSSEC"
(unless i overlooked them).

- content: Section 4 proposes to use that Enumservice with "this 'number
unused' state", however, there is no definition of this state. I think it
would be good to add text in section 3 which defines to which cases "number
unused" refers, PLUS it would be good to state somewhere that this
Enumservice is not to be used for numbers in any other status.

(Note: Is there a sensible case in which one would mix this Enumservice with
other Enumservices in a single RRSET? Maybe there could be some text about
this, although i don't want to go down the hole of "unused, but only for
certain services" :)

- content: It looks like Section 4 proposes some standardization effort on a
national basis in the last sentence. I know that the outcome from the URI is
not to be used for the actual call, but it sounds as if i had to wait for a
national body to define something before i can actually use it... Not sure
what can be done about this, maybe saying something like "the contents of
the data URI SHOULD provide additional information about the reason for the
existance of this record" (??).

- nit: Please use example phone number ranges in Section 6. A list of such
ranges can be found on http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html#anchor6 (scroll
down to "phone numbers"). For no particular reason, i personally prefer to
use the Nottingham area code when dealing with ENUM :)

that's all

--alex

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum