Subject: [Enum] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-chenbo-enum-mgcp-01.txt

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:27:39 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-chenbo-enum-mgcp-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Telephone Number Mapping (ENUM) Service
Registration for MGCP
	Author(s)	: C. Bo, et al.
	Filename	: draft-chenbo-enum-mgcp-01.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2007-7-12
	
MGCP decomposes a multimedia gateway into two parts, a call agent and
   a media gateway,thus brings greater extensibility and makes it easy
   to construct a large-scale VoIP network.  This document registers the
   MGCP Enumservice according to the guidelines given in RFC 3761.This
   kind of Enumservice is mainly applied in Carrier Networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chenbo-enum-mgcp-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-chenbo-enum-mgcp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-chenbo-enum-mgcp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:16:58 -0400

I do not understand the use case for this enumservice.

MGCP requires the device (MG) to register with the MGC (RestartInProgress).
The MGC then knows everything about the device at that point.  

This proposal doesn't describe how one domain finds the MGC, it describes
how the MGC finds the MG.  But the MGCP ReatartInProgress does that.

This enumservice would have to be used within a single domain; MGCP is not
used between domains.  The only thing this enumservice could do is provide a
locally standardized way to map a TN to an MG.  It is not clear, and the
draft does not say, what the value in having such a standard useful in a
single domain could be.

The market has certainly not seemed to need this kind of capability
standardized; MGCs have proprietary mappings between TN and MG identity.  I
am at a loss to see what the value is.

Brian

> From: Richard Shockey [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:28 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Enum] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-chenbo-enum-mgcp-01.txt
> 
> 
> 
>